In my garage..

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanie

Reaction score
...I have a press still wrapped up in two huge boxes. It's been sitting there since Tuesday when it was delivered. (Thanks George and Mark! I dread the peanuts!!!) My son is giving it to me for Christmas. Having it there is driving me crazy!
smiley36.gif

Anyone else sitting on George and Mark presents they can't open yet?
smiley4.gif

That must *really* be killing you. i'm feeling your pain.

I thought I would ask, which press is it? i noticed George has about 10 presses. Can anyone tell us which press is good, better, best? I wondered if the stainless steel ones are easier to clean and would resist corrosion better? Also I noticed they have a screw style press where the others appear to be a wratchet style.

With the smallest 25# Does that indicate the lbs of fruit you can get into one?

So many questions.

Maybe you'll want to pull out the camera and give us a 'how to' on putting that press together. :)

That's why I haven't heard from you... you've been sitting in the garage staring at that box!
smiley36.gif

Now that's a present Joan.
smiley32.gif

Don't you hate the peanuts this time of year in the north? They cling to everything. The last box I got with the peanuts in took me 20 minutes to clean up the mess it made- they stuck to everything. Some even jumped up to my hair and stuck there.
smiley36.gif

I am stopping by to see George today on my way up North, going to get some presents while I am there 8O).

appleman said:
Now that's a present Joan.
smiley32.gif

Don't you hate the peanuts this time of year in the north? They cling to everything. The last box I got with the peanuts in took me 20 minutes to clean up the mess it made- they stuck to everything. Some even jumped up to my hair and stuck there.
smiley36.gif

I've decided to leave the boxes in the garage and to open them out there! Peanuts are evil! The cat loves to chase them around the kitchen but it drives the dog nuts when she does!

The good part is that I get to open my press on Sunday morning! Because of travel plans, we're doing Christmas a day early this year.
smiley4.gif
smiley4.gif
smiley4.gif

Joan said:
Anyone sitting on George and Mark presents they can't open yet?
smiley4.gif

Yes!!! An assortment of various tools and stuff I put on my list. I've already seen the debit carde charge come through.

Joan said:
The good part is that I get to open my press on Sunday morning! Because of travel plans, we're doing Christmas a day early this year.
smiley4.gif
smiley4.gif
smiley4.gif

I wonder who made that suggestion?????
smiley9.gif
smiley2.gif

LOL Jobe, that was funny! We have to do Christmas early because my son is leaving Christmas Eve!

You know these forum names just drive me crazy.
smiley5.gif

Joan, I did not realize it was youthat ordered the press. Duh, is me!

BTW, don't spend too much time looking through the peanuts for the instructions. We realized today that we forgot to put them in. I am going to send you aprint-out, but if you want to get started early, here is a link to the instructions:
http://www.ldcarlson.com/wine%20press%20instructions.htm

Coaster did stop by today and relieve me of quite a bit of inventory. I hope you find room for the Christmas presents for the rest of your family!

Thanks to all of you that made this my best year ever!

George, you don't have to send directions!!! I will print these. Save your stamp!!!
Edited by: Joan

I'm still trying to figure out Joans screen name myself. I'm not naming names because maybe some people want to remain anonimous, but Joan has a very nice real name!
smiley20.gif

I'll bet you can't wait to try out that press next fall Joan. In another year or two, if you want to make a nice drive through the scenic Adirondack Mountains come on up and I'll fix you up with a few batches worth of grapes to run through that baby.
smiley4.gif

You can name names, Appleman! That's fine by me. =)

Next fall??? I can't wait until next fall!!! There must be some fruit I can squeeze the life out of before then!

Appleman, don't be makin' promises you can't keep now!!! =) I may have to take you up on your kind offer!

Be sure to give us some pictures of the press when you can unpack it. Is it the #30 in the directions George sent you?

I'm sure you can find some fruit to press before next fall, just not nice tender juicy sweet grapes. You will get some practice on those fruits and by the time you get some more grapes, you'll be a pro.

I'm hoping for some grapes next year, but barring horrible weather the following year, I should have tons of them, literally. I can't wait to experiment with the different varieties I will have, both to use alone and make into blends. I'll keep you filled in on their progress and when they get going good I will let you know for sure!
smiley4.gif

Yes, it's a #30. I thought when I was looking at it that it was big enough to hold 1 box of 36 pounds of grapes. I was wrong.. it's big enough to hold 2!
smiley3.gif

Thank you, Joan. If you have any questions about the press, please give me a call. There are a couple of tricks to the press. First, be sure to lubricate the rachett and threads with some vegetable oil. Second, the press works better when full, so always try to get filled before you start.

You can ship it down here to me while you are waiting on next falls harvest Joan and I will break it in for youon some Muscadines. I still have about 65 lbs in the freezer.
smiley2.gif

Ship it here when your done Waldo, I ave a few hundred pounds of fruit in the freezer: Muscadine, Scuppernong, blackberry, blueberries,peaches, figs and strawberries. But I suspect that Santa's wife packed Santa's sleigh with a steamer for me, so now it's up to Rudolph to get it here.

Latest posts

Back