IMPLODED PRIMARY

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
I thought I imploded my plastic primary fermenting bucket....

Earlier today I decided to mix up a batch of wine using some Zante [grape/raisins].....I put them in a straining bag in the bucket and poured hot water over them...Put on the lid to let them soak over night....

Well...the hot water cooled off...and crated a vacuum inside the bucket and the sides were sucked in....

I opened the bucket and pushed the sides back to the original state...I think the sides will stay straight...

Is this physics???? Or just stupid????
smiley5.gif

Wow, never heard of that 1 before but also have never tried doing that either.

Yeah if you leave a plastic soda bottle with the lid on it in your car on ahot day, you will come back to find it collapsed when the temps cool down.

You could also try this by running hot water into the bottle, empty it, put the lid on it, and then run cold water over the bottle's surface.

Back eons ago in school we used to get the one gal metal gas cans, new of course, boil water in them then seal with the lid, just to watch the vacuum do its thing. It has happened at work when a milk truck, or silo , isn't vented properly during wash, not a good thing!

This bucket had a waistline.....It's okay now....The water was really hot and the plastic got kind of warm....Didn't think those buckets sealed that good.

When we raised hogs we had a Honey Wagon to pump the liquid manure pits...One of them imploded from the vacuum...I heard it in the house...Sounded like someone slammed a door right beside me....It also had a waistline.

It is drilled for an air lock, but I had the solid-storage bung on it...very air tight...obviously.

I should have just put the fabric and rubber band/string application that I use during fermentation.

A lesson learned....but, no harm done.

Latest posts

Back