WineXpert Im an Idiot....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franco22

Reaction score
OK, today I started my Eclipse Lodi ranch Cabernet.....Got so wrapped up in all the steps....(BTW grapeskins was cool to add!!) I forgot to take a reading before I pitched the yeast!!!:m......anyone else ever do this?? Thanks for your support... Also Seemed like I could not get all the skins out of bag...so I just added what I could get out....will it be ok??

In answer to your first question, I suspect many wine makers forget to take a reading once in a while. My suggestion there is to create a simple form for you to record information on each batch. In that way you'll have everything handy and will have a checklist of things to do.

On the skins, it depends on how much was left over.

+1 to Tony's comments. Go take a reading as soon as possible. Grape skin kits usually rise in SG before fermentation kicks in, so you might not be too late yet. I usually take a reading a few times in the first 24 hours.

The kits will give you a targeted range even if you didn't take a reading. No sweat! :b

You're okay. Go do it now. Please post updates on this along the way. I hope to do Eclipse soon but will follow your progress first.

Oh, you might be an idiot, but not for forgetting to take SG.:)

Back