Ideas for my 14 oz. cans of Ocean Spray Jellied Cranberry Sauce?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TENNISTOWINE

Reaction score
I've come across quite a few 14 oz. cans of Ocean Spray Jellied Cranberry Sauce so you should know I want to make wine with them. Will it be ok to use these cans? The ingredients in a can are: cranberries, high fructose corn syrup. corn syrup, water. I plan on putting the jellied cranberry sauce in a straining bag and dissolving sugar in hot water (until I get the right SG) and putting all into a crock and then following directions for most other wines. What else would you do such as adding other fruits (raisins, bananas, etc.) or ingredients to make it better? Thanks if you will give me ideas.

Last edited:
This is a guess, but I would wager you should add pectic enzyme (AKA pectinase) to this.

Good call. Certainly won't hurt and might help a lot when it comes time to clear. Also don't think I would bother with the straining bag. If that is the same kind of cranberry jelly I have had there won't be anything left in the bag and you will still have to clean the bag afterwards. If there are seeds or skins to be caught, use the bag. Good luck with it, Arne.

Thanks a lot Paul & Arne. I was wondering about the straining bag because I thought after I added hot water it would pretty much dissolve. I also thought pectin enzyme was to break down the fruit (which is already broken down - because there are no skins or seeds). So pectin helps to clear I assume? I will accept any other suggestions please. How many cans of 14 oz. cranberries do you think I should use per gallon? Thanks

Since I am a newbie, I know squat. Still, I mess around with the cranberry sauces a lot because they can be inexpensive experiments with good results.

First, use lavlin EC 1118. A yeast starter is a good idea in this one. Use yeast energizer.

To start, I use a cranberry juice to mix with the sauce and use a heavy dose of PE. I Kmeta prior to the PE as I usually throw in crushed cranberries as well, but you will not need this as you are not using raw fruit. I also throw in a can of frozen cranberry concentrate per gallon of the cranberry juice(this is simply because my wife buys a ton of the concentrate. Lol)

The biggest problem that you will have is getting pH up to 3.1 or higher. If you are good with the calcium carbonate, you can minimize your water addition, but I suck with the calcium carbonate so I end up with more water addition.

You will need to add very little sugar (I used 2 pounds total for my most recent 6 gallon batch) with the sauces to get to a sg of around 1.08. I do add frozen red grape concentrate during fermentation if the fermentation gets sluggish so my actual sugar addition is higher.

Enough babble. My advice is essentially to use 1118, use yeast energizer, get the initial pH up, and keep the fermentation temperature up.

newBendOrfanatic thanks much. I may (probably will) add raisins, bananas and/or canned plums. If I do I may add pectin (unless someone tells me why I should just with the jellied cranberry sauce). Does anyone have idea of how many 14 oz. cans to use?

Please be aware that pectin and pectic enzyme (aka pectinase) are two very different things. (Do NOT add pectin.)

I agree that your fruit is already broken down, but I am worried that the fact that the sauce is a gel is due to its containing pectin.

Thanks Paul, In my last post I said pectin but I meant pectic enzyme - I was trying to be brief so I did not have to type so much. I have now looked both up and know more about each than I will remember. I also learned that pectic enzymes produce methanol which can be harmful. If pectin was used to make the jellied cranberry sauce shouldn't it be listed in the ingredients? The ingredients on the can do not list pectin. It sounds like the reason for using pectic enzyme is to 1. prevent pectic haze from forming so it will be easier to clear 2.
Additionally these enzymes help in the extraction of color and juice from fresh fruits. I do not think that I am concerned about my wine having a haze or the extra (little?) bit of wine and the added color I will be able to make by using pectic enzyme. I mostly drink this wine myself and I have never made any that I could not (or did not) want to drink. Anymore answers will be appreciated. Any ideas on the amount of cans to use?

I would start with a can per gallon mix well take SG reading then move up from there. Or mix one in a gallon take the SG then multiply from that

Cranberries naturally have pectin. That is how they jellied with no added pectin. Just like crabapples or green(unripe) apples. I would add pectin enzyme to this wine. Some people even add extra when using jellies to make wine. Your cranberry sauce is jelly. Look up recipes for jelly wine as a reference.

found this it mite help if you have not started your wine yet

saramc
FeRmEnTaTiOn FaNaTiC

Liked 129 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Pulled this from my file of "wines to make"...this gallon recipe came to me from a friend of a friend....

4-16 oz. cans of whole berry Cranberry sauce
up to 1 lb. Sugar
1 tsp. Acid Blend
1/8 tsp. Tannin
1 tsp. Yeast Nutrient
1.5 tsp Pectic Enzyme powder
1 gallon + 20 ounces water
1 packet Montrachet Yeast
*INITIAL K-meta (at transfer to secondary)--add 1/4 tsp powder to a glass and then hydrate with 5 tsp water--use 1 tsp k-meta solution per gallon of wine
K-meta prior to bottling if do not plan to backsweeten VERSUS k-meta + sorbate prior to bottling if plan on backsweetening

Bring 20 ounces water to a boil, remove from heat and add 3/4# sugar (hold remaining 1/4# sugar and add later if necessary) and cranberry sauce, stirring until well incorporated. Transfer to a primary which has been lined with a straining bag and then top up with 1 gallon of water. Add other ingredients with the exception of yeast. Allow to rest for 12-24 hours, then check the S.G. and adjust if necessary, a nice starting target is 1.080. Pitch yeast according to package directions, lightly cover the primary bucket--you want air exchange and access to oxygen.
Stir and lightly squeeze straining bag at least twice a day.
Remove straining bag and rack to secondary when SG has decreased by 2/3, DOSE WITH INITIAL K-META at this time, apply airlock. Rack in a month, then every 60 days until clear and no longer dropping sediment. Notes provided indicate this wine was actually clear and bottled 2 1/2 months after pitching the yeast & had been stabilized with k-meta/sorbate and backsweetened to 1.012

Have been told if using "gel cranberry sauce" use the same recipe but you can skip the straining bag.
saramc is offline Report Post right now I have 22 cases (264 cans ) of the " gel cranberry sauce "

Back