Ideas for high-proof, neutral-grain spirits?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mvcrews

Reaction score
Any ideas on making flavored liquors or wine from everclear (190 proof grain spirit)? My first idea is to use it as a solvent and create fruit liquors (watering down of course), my second is to use it in fortified wines, and my final idea is to use it as a sanitizing agent. My fourth idea is to hold onto it for bartering purposes in the event of an apocalypse, but this probably isn't the thread for that..... Any other ideas or advice...?...this is really a first for me...

Last edited:
As you already mentioned, it can be used to fortify wines and that's about all I would ever consider, for my own purpose. Other than what you already named, I can't think of anything else.

You could make some very nice liqours with it by taking a bunch of fruit and soaking the fruit in it. And then later diluting it down with some water after a month or two.

You could put it into your lawn mower and use it as fuel! Seriously, it is a great sanitizer.

You could put it into your lawn mower and use it as fuel! Seriously, it is a great sanitizer.

Won't the older John Deere (Poping Johnny) tractors run off that stuff?

Far be it from me to diss a quart Ball jar of apple pie, I absolutely love the stuff when I can get it (which is rarely), but...

This is such a unique opportunity. I would really consider cutting it to 100 proof with water and then buying a small oak barrel and letting it age a couple years in there. You could do this with a portion of your stash and still have some left to do other things with.

Oh, on the vanilla vodka, you can use commercial vanilla extracts, too. Just get the real deal, not artificial.

That sounds good and not too much work. I'll probably try that. Although it looks like I have to make my own "vanilla vodka" first?

I agree. Going to whip some of this up next week for a change of pace.

Does anyone know if this has to be refrigerated or can it be left at room temp. and how long is it good in those jars if well sealed?

We experimented a few years back aging some cheap store bought liquors in cheap ebay bought 2 liter barrels and after about a month the liquor had extracted so much wood flavor it was undrinkable. Not sure how much that had to do with using a crappy barrel and crappy liquor, but I think the alcohol will probably extract too much wood from any new barrel. But if anyone has a small, neutral barrel they'd like to sell me I'd be interested...

Far be it from me to diss a quart Ball jar of apple pie, I absolutely love the stuff when I can get it (which is rarely), but...

This is such a unique opportunity. I would really consider cutting it to 100 proof with water and then buying a small oak barrel and letting it age a couple years in there. You could do this with a portion of your stash and still have some left to do other things with.

Oh, on the vanilla vodka, you can use commercial vanilla extracts, too. Just get the real deal, not artificial.

its rocket fuel man only thing that can live in it is....well....nothing as long as the jar doesn't break and the lid doesn't rust into it it should be fine.

We experimented a few years back aging some cheap store bought liquors in cheap ebay bought 2 liter barrels and after about a month the liquor had extracted so much wood flavor it was undrinkable. Not sure how much that had to do with using a crappy barrel and crappy liquor, but I think the alcohol will probably extract too much wood from any new barrel. But if anyone has a small, neutral barrel they'd like to sell me I'd be interested...

Yep, that's an issue of having a brand new barrel and that barrel being so very small. A wine placed in that situation likely would have been undrinkable in even a month, let alone a high-proof like what you have.

I have some nice recipes: lemoncello, Orangecello , Kahlua and I'm still tweeking my Sambucca recipe

Latest posts

Back