WineXpert Ideal Fermentation Temp.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
I just pitched the yeast yesterday on a WE red and was wondering the ideal temp. to ferment it at. Its been unusually warm here in the south, and its sitting at 72 right now but the yeast haven't really kicked off yet so I'm guessing thats gonna get hotter. I can control the temp fairly well with an ice bath, just need to know what temp to keep....

Thats a decent temp right there, the fermentation will raise that temp once it gets going so try and hold at no higher then 78* if possible.

What will happen if the temp gets too high? If the starting temp is in the range but then it heats up past this point when fermentation begins is it ok to leave it alone to do its thing or do you need to bring down the temp right away?

I think you are fine as long as you don't go over 85. You might want to find out what kind of yeast was provided and go online to see what temperature that strain can handle.

Try not to let it get too hot or it will stress the yeast out and that may produce off flavors and tastes. To cool it down you could subemerge the whole bucket in the bath tub with cooler water.

Latest posts

Back