Ice Wine with chemical taste in Clarifying stage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCorkery

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all!

So cool that we have a forum to bounce ideas around in! :)

So here's my issue: I've got a Cellar Craft Specialty kit on the go, it's a Riesling Ice Wine Style and I've just put it through the clarifying stage. It has a kind of paint thinner taste to it. Behind that flavour is a nice ice wine flavour and it doesn't have a bad aftertaste, just the initial tasting does.

Is this evidence of oxidization or something bad or is it pretty normal for the dessert wines and will this mellow out in the carboy between now and bottling?

Cheers!~

to avoid oxidation just make sure the carboy is topped off. did you add the k meta and sorbate?

I often detect diesel fuel aromas in Rieslings.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Yes the K Meta and Sorbate have been added along with Keiselsol and Chitosan. I degassed really well using the all in one wine pump (like 5 times back and forth). I didn't top up because it didn't really need topping up. It was about 2 inches from the base of the neck.

Thanks for the info everyone. I didn't know ice wine had greater levels of acetic acid. Good to know. I'll bet that's what I'm tasting.

It should be all the way to the base of the neck if possible. It is the surface area which encourages oxidatoin. Plus, since you have degassed the wine you have removed a layer of protection against oxidation..

However, young wine can taste rather harsh.. So, I would put my money on that.

Latest posts

Back