I took the plunge

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I feel Bad

We should never have tricked you Mike:(, yeah it's true you'll need to get more batches going, it really doesn't take that long before you can drink it. Get a couple more going even if it's one gallons at atime, but thats no fun! Some of the gang in here are into kits, some into fruit, I think I may be one of those who do frozen concentrates. Mostly due to cost and availability of fresh fruits. Kits to me are like using bottled BBQ sauce, and I am sure I can imagine how you feel about that!:) I costed it out and if I make 5 gallons using frozen juice concentrate I can make a bottle of wine for around 80 cents(based on $1.50 per can, 3 cans for a gallon) May be a cost effective way to get another batch going right away, until you're prepared for the watermelon surprise! You're in a big city so you should have access to a wide varieties of flavors to choose from. Regardless of which direction you choose, we support you. If you think we tricked you thus far, I fear what you'll be saying next year at this time when you are working on your 100th gallon!!!!!!:D
Troy

I am actually out in the county, but I am near the big city. I feel really creepy anytime I have to go into the big city which is not often.

I can damn sure relate to the creepy feeling Mike been in Alaska almost 30 yrs, I could never imagine ever living in a city again. I don't even particularly going back to Milwaukee to see my family.
Troy

Yea Tooth, thats what I meant! Arcticsid, what you are doing with the frozen concentrate is exactly what a kit is so Im not really sure what you are getting at, it is a concentrate the same and they usually make a much better wine then a frozen concentrate ever will, Ive made quite a few of both!

All I really meant Wade was that some of those kits can be a little spendy, and as long as you have the equipment and "chemicals" on hand already, using frozen concentrates may be a "cheap" way to have something going. I by no means am suggesting anything wrong with kits or fruit wines. In fact I am considering buying a kit just to give it a shot. I am interested in a Raspberry Merlot. Any recommendations on a brand for this type?
Troy

All of those Mist kits are the same IMO but will produce a very low abv just so that you know, around 7%. I now make a few still for my wife or her friends adding around 3 1/2 lbs of sugar in the primary to bump up the abv to around 10 1/2 % and it works well but will voi the warranty. Im just saying that with the higher end kits they will produce most of the time a 15-20$ commercial wine for around $3 a bottle and soe will make a much better wine then most commercials unless your buying an$80 bottle. In examle, I made an Amarone which will beat most $50 bottles of commercial Amarone out there and my cost is about $4.50 per bottle and mine is only 14 months old compared to most that are usually at least 4 years old before they even are allowded to shelf it in a store.

All of those Mist kits are the same IMO but will produce a very low abv just so that you know, around 7%. I now make a few still for my wife or her friends adding around 3 1/2 lbs of sugar in the primary to bump up the abv to around 10 1/2 % and it works well but will voi the warranty. Im just saying that with the higher end kits they will produce most of the time a 15-20$ commercial wine for around $3 a bottle and soe will make a much better wine then most commercials unless your buying an$80 bottle. In examle, I made an Amarone which will beat most $50 bottles of commercial Amarone out there and my cost is about $4.50 per bottle and mine is only 14 months old compared to most that are usually at least 4 years old before they even are allowded to shelf it in a store.

I will be adding sugar. I've been reading your past post and have noticed that you have done that. I think I saw somewhere else (I think that was you) that you made a White Chocolate White Port. That is for sure on my wish list. I figured that the more expensive kits were better but I just wanted to try the cheaper kit just to get started.

That is a limited edition kit but some places still have them available like Finevinewines.

That is a limited edition kit but some places still have them available like Finevinewines.
I was over there reading your post about it, did it ever taste like white chocolate or did it stay butterscotch?

It is slowly creeping a little more to a slight White Chocolate but is still predominalty butterscotch IMO.

They guaranty that you will not have any problems with it fermenting, going ad, and that you will like it our they will give you your money back or replace the kit!!!!!!!! It is true!!!!!!!

How much of it do I need to drink before I decide I don't like it:) And then do I send them the remainder? Seriously, they really quarantee a wine kit?
Troy

Back