I think I missed when I was supposed to degas?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NashChic

Reaction score
I'm brand new to winemaking, but quickly becoming addicted =) I've been lurking on here devouring as much info as I can (many thanks to all of you!!). Things are going pretty good, but I think I've come across something I can't search the answer to...

Here's what I have going:

6 gallon batch of what I hope will end up as Apple Pie Cider-
Starting SG of 1.080, fermented in primary to 0.996, then racked to 6gal Better Bottle with 1 tablespoon sparkolloid (dissolved in 1c. boiling water), 6 crushed kmeta tabs, & 3 t. sorbate. The racking to spark/kmeta/sorbate was on 10/13/12. I realized a couple of days ago that I was probably supposed to degas at that point, then leave it to clear =\

Should I go ahead & degas now (& not worry about the sediment that it stirs up) then it will clear from that point? Or should I rack again, degas, re-sparkolloid, THEN clear?

You guys don't know it but you've already been a huge help to me. I love reading about your wine adventures (& sometimes misadventures ;-))

Thanks!!

Welcome to Winemakingtalk! You will certainly stir up the sediment if you degass now. But go ahead. It should re-settle. I don't think you need to rack at this point, though you could if you really wanted to.

Hi NashChic

Welcome to winemakingtalk. I won't worry about degassing right now. The wine will degass itself if left to age. I would wait until you rack the next time and degass then if needed.

Thanks! (for the welcome & the info) ;)

I think I've got a little of that first batch paranoia. I feel better knowing that it's not ruined.

Julie- I don't plan to bulk age for all that long (a few weeks at the most)... although I will for future wines. I'm hoping to dazzle my fam with my new skills at Christmas. Actually, my dad is the one who has always expressed an interest in trying winemaking. I decided to get him a kit (equipment & juice kit) for Christmas. While researching it for him, I decided to get my own ;) I'm hooked!! So I want to give him his gift and then spring a bottle of cider... "Ta-Dah!! And here's what you can make with it!!"

I'll probably let it sit for now. I still have to backsweeten before bottling. So my plan is sit a bit longer... then rack, degas, backsweeten.... sit a little more... then bottle. Does this sound like a reasonable strategy?

Also, does anyone have any experience or tips about degassing in a Better Bottle? I read that the manufacturer suggests "slapping" the sides. I tried a little bit of that last night & it didn't seem like it was doing much. I bought a Mix-Stir degassing rod, but I hesitate to use it for fear of damaging the plastic bottle.

I used to use a plastic coat hanger. Cut at one end along the bottom long part. Then cut the largest hook you can fit in your carboy on the other end. Attach to a drill and spin forward and reverse spurts.

Also, its not to late to have some skeeter pre ready by xmas, maybe 2 flavors would be nice :)

Your plan is pretty good. Do you have two carboys or are you racking to a bucket first then back into the carboy? That in itself will degass some wines and sometimes just stirring would release a lot of gas.. Apple doesn't seem to need much in the way of degassing, at least mine never did.

Ahhh, Skeeter Pee... Just this morning I finished reading DangerDave's entire threads on Danger's Lab & Dragon Blood in 15 days ;) I think you're reading my mind, keena!

I just bought a second 6gal carboy Monday, but it's destined for the WE Coastal White kit that's in my primary. I will have an empty primary tomorrow or Saturday... maybe I can scrape up more $$ for another carboy next week. PB&J sandwiches here I come! Lol I think the guy at the LHBS is getting a kick out of me... I came in and wanted to buy some stuff for my dad for Christmas, but I keep coming back & buying more stuff (for myself!!) Ya know, dad's "gift" carboy is just sitting there... hmmmmm.

But I digress... Julie, since it looks like I will be filling carboys as fast as I can collect them ;) I will probably rack to a bucket to degas/sweeten, give the carboy a quick clean/sanitize, then rack back to it until bottling.

Personally I life the skeeter pee. I have experimented a little with it and found that its also is great if you add a little of the raspberry flavoring you pick up at the lhbs. That's our favorite so far. I'm excited to try the dragon blood because I've had it sitting in the carboy for a while now and what I hear is that its delicious! Also have about 12 other wines I'm waiting to try that I just haven't had time to bottle yet... Including skittle wine, orange wine, starburst wine, lime wine, cherry lime, and a few others!

I read the thread on skittle wine a couple days ago. Let me know how that turns out.... I'm giving it some serious consideration :) But Dragon Blood will most likely be next! The "gotta-try-that" recipes are starting to stack up!!!

Haha, I know! I've done like every fruit already. Now I'm moving on to trying some other more crazy ideas. I'm known at my lhbs as the guy who does crazy wines. My next 3 are goin to be coffee, caramel apple, and possibly chocolate raspberry. I'm not to sure on my third carboy selection yet

Latest posts

Back