I think I am being scammed

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK,

How about economic sanctions (or the promise of better economic relations) to make their government crack down on this? Our people are being preyed upon and isn't that something that our government (and all of our tax dollars) should be protecting us from??

It is blatant crime that goes unpunished. It just bothers me, having seen a friend (albeit an overly trusting one) get hit by this scum.

John,
You can't levy sanctions against a country who may have nothing to do with the scam. People can setup bank accts., IP accts., phony addresses, etc. in any country. If that was the case, the US should have plenty of sanctions against us as I guarantee we are scamming others too. The scams are worldwide.

There comes a point and time where we are responsible for our own actions. I go back to an earlier post, nothing happens for free or what seems free. With the exception of some elderly who may not have anyone to confer with, if you are gullible enough to fall for these things then you deserve it.

Again, who in their right mind can logically think someone out of the blue just happened to pick them for this miraculous windfall.

Scamming is a profession likely as old as "the oldest profession known to MAN". We just keep making it easier. :wy

These days, mine usually start like this one, from "Olga Smirnova":

Hi, my name is Olga, I'm from a small city in Russia. I am 24 years old. I like you very much :)
I want to know more about you and hope to become a good friends.
Let's talk :)

While the level of English comprehension has soared over the decades, the scam remains the same. I have my spam filters set high, and this example actually came from my spam file. I rarely see these in my emails.

The very newest trick is for someone using a nubile young girl's photo to request that you become their Facebook friend, after which spammers and scammers get your real friends' contact info and start slamming out the messages.

And of course I get the ubiquitous phone calls from "Rachel at cardholder services." I once dialed through and told them my number had been on Do Not Call for 8 years. The woman said, "Oh yeah? Well, because you told me that, we're going to call you twice a day, every day, for the next month!" And they did. They rotate through phone numbers so fast, it will make your head spin. Nothing anyone can do to stop it, apparently. I even wrote my Congressmen and Senators. They sent me back a form email.

http://www.bbb.org/new-orleans/news...14/07/beware-rachel-from-cardholder-services/

They paid up $700,000 to people who lost money (http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/rachel-from-cardholder-services-pays-up-011615.html), but that doesn't stop the scam. There's a new girl now, a Carmen or some such.

And then there's "Hello seniors!" http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-913-674-8956/5

They change their number all the time, too. Fact is, if you do business online, you are going to fall prey to these people eventually. And have your credit card ripped off, too. Let's see, counting Target, I am up to three times on that. Oh, and my health insurer just informed me that an accounting firm it contracted with had let my Social Security number get stolen.

Yet people fight about protecting their privacy. As the old farmer says, "That horse dun left the barn!"

If an email from a women doesn't start with Hi, Im a wine maker too. delete it she's not worth knowing I'm not hating / I'm just saying

I agree. I must say, though, if she wrote, "Hi. I'm 21! Let's get drunk and get nekkid" I'd be penniless in moments!

:)

Back