I think I am being scammed

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know, Cowboy. Maybe you're just getting lucky. It can happen. In fact, just today, I was told I had won the European lottery. All they needed was my bank account number so they could transfer the funds. Money should be here in 3 days! :db

What concerns me is that if they had proper grammar, spelling, and a more believable story, there would likely be many more that are successful.

actually, it is a way to screen easy marks. If they ignore those warnings, the odds of that person being scammed have increased. Focus their efforts on the few really gullable people.

What concerns me is that if they had proper grammar, spelling, and a more believable story, there would likely be many more that are successful.

actually, it is a way to screen easy marks. If they ignore those warnings, the odds of that person being scammed have increased. Focus their efforts on the few really gullable people.

Soo, Rich, what are you trying to suggest here? ;)

Here is how sophisticated they are: the fake website www.fuchsberglaw.com and the real site from a real attorney www.fuchsberg.com

The fake sites phone sends you a voice mail. I bet the fake site will be shut down soon. I contacted the real attorney and told them about the fake site.

Here is how sophisticated they are: the fake website www.fuchsberglaw.com and the real site from a real attorney www.fuchsberg.com

The fake sites phone sends you a voice mail. I bet the fake site will be shut down soon. I contacted the real attorney and told them about the fake site.

Holy crap! That fake site is a darn fine bit of fakery! :slp

I know of a person that got hit for 30k. She was an old widow and was very trusting.

What really gets me is that these pigs that make a dishonest living often go scot-free. I do not understand it. Can't they trace the money to a guilty party?

Websites are dime a dozen, anyone can make a website and have it look as professional as you want. The website can be built for free and hosted for dollars a month.

I guess I just don't understand anyone falling for this type of thing(ok, some of the elderly I do). I mean let's think about this, someone randomly happens to pick YOU, yes YOU, out of the millions of people in the world and lo and behold not only did they pick YOU, but they have tens of thousands of dollars for YOU. Well isn't that something. No one is going to just give you money like that..................unless you were fortunate enough to have a winning lottery ticket.

Can't they simply stop all internet traffic to and from Nigeria???

No. Even if that was possible, they(the bad guys/gals) could just setup accounts with IP addresses in the US, UK, Brazil, etc. and use them anywhere in the world.

Basically like you can setup a website, email account, etc. using Yahoo, Gmail, etc. and then access it anywhere in the world.

Websites are dime a dozen, anyone can make a website and have it look as professional as you want. The website can be built for free and hosted for dollars a month.

I guess I just don't understand anyone falling for this type of thing(ok, some of the elderly I do). I mean let's think about this, someone randomly happens to pick YOU, yes YOU, out of the millions of people in the world and lo and behold not only did they pick YOU, but they have tens of thousands of dollars for YOU. Well isn't that something. No one is going to just give you money like that..................unless you were fortunate enough to have a winning lottery ticket.

To add to that, one can download an entire website, text, pics, etc... Then use an automated script to change certain things like domain names, email addresses, phone numbers, etc.. Then they can upload the entire fake website to a hosted server. All can be done in a matter of minutes.

I forgot to say that to also say that this so called attorney sent an email after 12 midnight mountain time on a Friday night. He then answered a question on Saturday. I just go another email from him again late last night. I don't know of any attorney that would deal this type of legal mater this late at night. They tried real hard to get me to act right away. In the form that they wanted filled out they wanted ss#, full name, both parents names, also wanted to know if they still lived, address, and signature.

Can't they simply stop all internet traffic to and from Nigeria???

They could, but there are a lot of reasons why you don't want the Government to do that. What if you wanted information on the Nigerian Grape harvest this year?

Also, it would be easy for someone in Nigeria to route traffic through a non-Nigeria proxy.

I'm assuming that comment was tongue in cheek, but all it would do is block the legitimate emails. Scammers know the way around simple blocks like that.

It's probably not even a woman!! Some guy sitting in an internet boiler house in Nigeria.

All you people looking for "love" should get off the internet and go meet people face to face. Jeeesh!

OK,

How about economic sanctions (or the promise of better economic relations) to make their government crack down on this? Our people are being preyed upon and isn't that something that our government (and all of our tax dollars) should be protecting us from??

It is blatant crime that goes unpunished. It just bothers me, having seen a friend (albeit an overly trusting one) get hit by this scum.

Hay I get dozens of emails from Cameroon daily. Offering all sorts of high ticket merchandize at bargain basement prices...Internet scamming is like a noble profession there. They even offer courses there in School. The university of Northern Nigeria advertises on TV Get your Scammers degree online through UNN. I think the other one is Defly university!:h

Latest posts

Back