Mosti Mondiale I need a quickie - omitted nutrient

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyt

Reaction score
I inadvertently omitted the yeast nutrient on my MM Meglioli Amarone. It has been fermenting for seven days and is down to .998. Should have added the pack of nutrient at 1.04-5. It zoomed past that and yesterday at 1.010 I planned on adding it but couldn't find the package. I made my typical Saturday afternoon panic call to Joseph at Fine Vine Wines to see if this kit was supposed to have nutrient or not and he said that since the SG was moving along so well not to worry about it anyway and to rack to secondary. So today as I prepare to rack to secondary for a week or two I find the missing nutrient pack. Sooooooooo, do I add it now at SG .998 and with perhaps a bit of sugar? Or do I just fuggitaboutit? Starting SG was only 1.100 with grape pack AND raisins so it could use a bit more alcohol:a1.

Last edited:
You have probably had more wine making experience than me, but at. 998 I would say you don't need it.

Thanks for the quickie guys. Just thought someone might have a comment about the alcohol, it is an Amarone after all.

LOL, without reading your last post, the first think I noticed was an sg of 1.10 but as you stated it is an Amarone and like others have stated, it has fermented so there is no reason to add it.

It is always best to add part of your nutrient right after fermentation begins and then add the rest of it about about 1/3 to 1/2 way through. If you have a very fast fermentation get it in quick as the yeast is using it all up and you could end up with a stuck fermentation.

Okay, four out of four winemakers agree to fuggitaboutit. Racking and crossing my fingers that it goes down a bit more in the next week. I like your idea of half and half Dan, hope I remember next time. hahaha

Back