WineXpert I messed up!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voz63

Junior
Reaction score
I have an Apple Riesling in the clearing stage (about 10 days) and it was cystal clear. I usually transfer it over to the fermenting bucket for easy bottling and I messed up and sucked a bunch of sediment over...and of course now it'shazy again. I gave ita week to settle out and it was still hazy...this week I'll check it again. What are the chances of it not clearing? I've heard that itprobably wontclear if it's bottled like this, is that right? Other than the visual aspects, is there anything wrong with drinking it before it's totally clear? Thanks for any wisdom.

voz, it's a visual thing. I hope, though, that you have racked it back into a clean carboy. If you leave it in the primary it will get too much contact with the air and will oxidize.

When you say oxidize, what exactly does that mean? What does that do to the wine? It sucksthat I've screwed this up.

Thanks for the help.

It will be exposed to too much air and turn it to vinegar. There is
natural bacteria in grapes when introduced to enough oxygen will turn
your wine into an acetic acid giving a vinegar taste and will
eventually turn it into vi negar. This why when producing alchohol
after initial racking into is important to keep your carboy topped up
meaning 2" max from the top of the bung.

voz, if your wine is not degassed enough, it will not clear as fast as if it were. If you have left it in the primary, and it is gassy, the gass may have helped saved your wine, as offgassing offers some protection. Rack into the carboy,stir vigorously to degass, and let it clear.
DaveEdited by: DaveB50

Voz, this is why I usually do an extra racking after the clearing stage to make sure that I have all the sediment gone beforeI do the bottling stage. Many of us usually allow the wine to age in the carboy for a few months rather than bottle as the instructions state.

Make sure the wine is back in a clean carboy and add 1/4 tsp K Meta or some crushed campden tabs and give this a good month to clear. Time is you friend and you shouldn't have any problems with clearing. If you added the K meta or campden tabs while preparing to bottle then it is not necessary to add more. Make sure the carboy is topped up too.

Latest posts

Back