I love me some popcorn

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimyson

Reaction score
I got this magical thing for Christmas called a Whirly-Pop. I know it's been around for a while but this is my first. Actually, I have been thinking about getting another so I can roast some coffee beans. Back to popcorn.

So I have been making a lot more popcorn lately and have been using 2 tablespoons of grape seed oil, 2 tablespoons of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 cup of popcorn. It turns out fantastic! Kind of like a kettle corn but not as good if you ask me.

So what are you all doing to fresh popped popcorn? Any good recipes out there?

We still pop ours in a pot :) I love it with a mixture of butter (of course), seasoning salt, cayenne pepper and a touch of smoked salt.

Tastes like heaven. You have to be careful not to over salt it though!

Real butter is the only thing allowed in my fridge Arne. Do you put it in prior to pop or after?

I will try that the_rayway. Sounds interesting with the smoked salt.

You guys are making me want to bring out the popcorn maker !!

Air pop - then real butter - popcorn salt and some parmesan cheese sprinkled oi it

Some of the gourmet popcorns are the best - Can't take it any more my mouth is drooling !!

Popcorn is great. Day old popcorn is even better!

Yellow or white?

White here.

Warm the butter up, pour it on after popping, add some salt. Glass of skeeter pee, beer, pepsi or whatever, and old western on t.v. Life is good. Arne.

I wouldn't turn down a whirly pop if someone gave me one, but I just shake the pot on the stove. Perhaps it helps that I have a high-BTU range, but I never have any problems with getting complete poppage without burning.

And you air-poppers?
youre-doing-it-wrong.jpg

:) ;)

Last edited:
I refuse to purchase a popcorn popper. They are expensive and serve only one purpose.

Instead, I simply use a steel mixing bowl. It is perfect! The sides of the bowl slope down to a flat area of about 5 inches in diameter.

I toss in salt, butter, and the corn. Cover with tin foil, then heat under med-low heat on the gas stove, shaking once the corn starts popping...

I swear that the corn tastes better this way too!

I used to use a pot but now that I have the Whirley-Pop, I get much better results with complete kernel poppage. Though, I also have an induction glass top stove. That may be why. And you can't beat the price of this thing.

Man, I'm surprised the I don't see more people creating different things to sprinkle on the popcorn. Is it that good with Butter and Salt to not mess with it? C'mon.

Also, how does one get good coverage with butter when pouring over the top? It seems that when I do this, there is always parts that seems to suck it all up. Then my wife grabs the good pieces and leaves me with the plain stuff. Anyone spraying it on?

old western on t.v.

Just got a flash-back of my Uncle Roger. This guy ALWAYS had western shows on when I was growing up. Funny thing is, he was and always lived in Lowell, MA which is a suburb of Boston. Even though, I don't think I ever saw him without a western shirt on either.

Air popped, and then I spray on canola oil with butter flavor. Toss with salt, pepper and a little sugar. Perfect for the hockey game!

I used to use a pot but now that I have the Whirley-Pop, I get much better results with complete kernel poppage. Though, I also have an induction glass top stove. That may be why. And you can't beat the price of this thing.

Man, I'm surprised the I don't see more people creating different things to sprinkle on the popcorn. Is it that good with Butter and Salt to not mess with it? C'mon.

Also, how does one get good coverage with butter when pouring over the top? It seems that when I do this, there is always parts that seems to suck it all up. Then my wife grabs the good pieces and leaves me with the plain stuff. Anyone spraying it on?

Use a large bowl and pour the butter along the sides of the bowl, stirring with your other hand to incorporate.

Ok, Jimmy, here you go. Obviously I would only eat this on my cheat day but here are a couple of "sweeter" recipes.
6 cups popped popcorn
4oz Junior mints
1 Tbsp olive oil

Melt Junior mints with olive oil in small saucepan over medium heat. Once it is melted, drizzle over popcorn in a large container. Mix popcorn and mint mixture up. Once all coated well, transfer to wax paper to set up. Kind of a salt/sugar treat.

Another one is too melt white chocolate chips, along with some olive oil, and drizzle it on top of the popcorn. While still wet and setting up, top with sprinkles.

Both courtesy of Taste of Home.

The wife would never forgive me if I tainted the popcorn with anything mint. The white chocolate on the other hand sounds viable. Maybe I should do the same with some caramel.

Back