Cellar Craft I just got a GSM - International Grenach-Syrah-Mourvedre

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Things going well, SG ~1.040, mixed some ferm-k into a bit of water (added like ~5gr of ferm-k), then poured into bucket and stirred well.

Fermentation chugging alone....

This morning SG ~0.998.
The instructions say to move to secondary with air lock once at 1.000 or less.
Thinking about leaving in bucket and put air lock to it until weekend and then stabilize this weekend.
The instructions call for stabilization around days 20-22 and mine is not even a week yet but I know they say that to ensure fermentation is really complete.

What you guys think, must not even 2 inches from top.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

See this picture....ImageUploadedByWine Making1403698473.690711.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Wow, speedy.

I don't know that I'd wait until the weekend, but another day would be good to extract more goodies from those skins. Don't be in a rush to stabilize. Let things work in the secondary. Just be sure you're topped up. I've had wine in secondary for a month with no problems.

This morning SG ~0.998.
The instructions say to move to secondary with air lock once at 1.000 or less.
Thinking about leaving in bucket and put air lock to it until weekend and then stabilize this weekend.
The instructions call for stabilization around days 20-22 and mine is not even a week yet but I know they say that to ensure fermentation is really complete.

What you guys think, must not even 2 inches from top.

It will be fine covered up with an airlock until the weekend. You can do the entire fermentation in the bucket.

thanks guys, that sounds like a plan, 'secondary' has its benefits so I will not stabilize until my return on the week of July 21.
What I will do is rack to 6gal carboy (I hope there's enough liquid) and put air-lock and let it sit to then stabilize upon my return.

Update:
SG has been 0.998 for a couple days.
Racked into a 6gal better bottle plastic container but lot of head space, took lots of sediments from primary and poured them into a mesh bag and squeezed everything back into 6gal, it is up to its neck now.

Added enzyme packet and stirred.

It will rest now for almost a month, will stabilized then upon my return.

Thanks Paul, I did what I never did before, get everything from the bottom and put in mesh bag and then squeezed really well, am sure some of the yeast goo and that that went in but am not worry.

Now I see some "sediment" accumulation towards the top of vessel and think it is the enzyme addition....next time I will not use unless needed.

UPDATE:
just came back from a long vacation yesterday. Today, after 3 weeks in a plastic 6gal carboy, I racked and added chems except for the sorbate.

SG ~0.998

The chitosan is already doing its good job.
The only problem is that I have a head space in the 6gal carboy, it is about maybe close to a 750ml bottle.
I couldn't find any wine at the liquor store close to this combination. Topping off with water would be way too much.

Which wine would you recommend for topping off?

Thanks guys.
I was just thinking if taking the risk of leaving the head space for a couple of days and since lots of sediments will drop then just rack off the sediment and put into a smaller container.

If I add a bottle of commercial wine now, it is obviously merely to top off, but with so much sediment already collected, I wonder.....

If I add a bottle of commercial wine now, it is obviously merely to top off, but with so much sediment already collected, I wonder.....

I wouldn't worry about it. Buy two bottles for topping up. Even if you have to use an entire 2nd bottle at the next racking, that's only 2 out of 30 - about 6.6%. Not enough to have an appreciable impact on the wine. Or, buy one Syrah, and one Grenache to better match the kit's blend.

Latest posts

Back