I have nothing to do!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmer

Reaction score
All my carboys are filled. My barrel is filled.
My gallon jug is filled, so is my 1/2 gallon, various size wine bottles and my 32oz snapple bottle.
All filled with wine.
And all that wine is 1 to 2 months away from racking or k-meta (according to my schedule).

I go down to the red room (wine room) and have nothing to do.

I can not start anything because I have no empty carboys.

I guess I will just have to pop a bottle and kill time!

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I am in the same situation and that is when it is tempting to bottle something too soon just to have something to do.

I agree with Heather, you need to buy more carboys!

Work on some label designs. Spend more time on the forum. Re-organize your work area. As much as I like this hobby I still enjoy an occasional 3-4 week down time.

When you need to rack, what are you going to rack to?

I have been in your situation - it gets better after a couple of months !

I know have an excess of empty carboys - thats a first ! I still have 9 carboys in use and a lot of empty and no time to fill them -:slp

AMEN!!!! My 15 gal demijohn =full and set, 4x 5 gal glass= full and set, 3x 5 gal better bottles = full and set. But I'm looking at 20 or so pounds of FREE raspberries this week that would make some some fine raspberry/lemonade wine (AKA raspberry DB) with no freezer space to spare plus two turkeys that need to lay on ice for a while. Conundrum much???

When growing up, the one thing I learned was to NEVER tell my dad that "I have nothing to do". He always was able to find something for me. :)

Although the winemaking activity has slowed, I busy myself with other things. For one, My wife broke her foot last week and I have been taking care of her.

Might I suggest that winter is coming???....

IMG_20141109_170138_129.jpg

When you need to rack, what are you going to rack to?

You could always rack into a primary bucket, clean out the carboy and rack back into the same carboy.

Last edited:
I have plenty to do, in the garage, yard, stripping wall paper etc...etc....
I just have no wine to make and I neither have the room or funds for a new carboy. my next purchase may be another kit (think I settled on a cab)

My next wine to be racked will be a pinot noir, which is 1 month away from a racking and current sitting on hungarian oak cubes (smells good).
Then I am 2 months away from racking a brunello and 2 months and 3 weeks away from bottling my nearly year old barolo.

I have learned that I can not make too much wine. I am finding out that I am the only person who drinks my wine. Neither my spouse or friends will drink it, they are either snobs or liquor drinkers. But that is ok, just means more for me.

When growing up, the one thing I learned was to NEVER tell my dad that "I have nothing to do". He always was able to find something for me. :)

Although the winemaking activity has slowed, I busy myself with other things. For one, My wife broke her foot last week and I have been taking care of her.

Might I suggest that winter is coming???....

Suggest away!

You can get a bunch of used wine bottles and clean them.

I have 200 clean, de-labeled wine bottles stacked in the corner of my wine room.

I have soo many bottles I have stopped accepting donations!

I have 200 clean, de-labeled wine bottles stacked in the corner of my wine room.

I have soo many bottles I have stopped accepting donations!

You could bring them to Cincinnati. I am still taking donations, especially the cleaned and de-labeled ones :)

Back