I can't take it any more!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sliverpicker

Junior
Reaction score
So I started my first batch!!

I got a recipe from a book and followed it to a "T". Then I remembered the guy at the brew shop said to only use 1 campden tablet. And that 1 was good for 5 gallons.

So, since I followed the recipe, I used 7 tablets in 7 gallons.... was this bad? or is it just really sterile?!?

Definitely sterile.

I just recently did something similar on my first batch, even after reading dozens of times, the correct dosage. I was using potassium metabisulfite, and used 3 tsp for roughly 5-6 gallons. And you only need 1/4 tsp per 6 gallons.

Basically the powder form of campden tablets

I stirred the must vigorously for two days, 5-6 times a day. Pitched my yeast starter at the end of day two, and it took right off.

Oh, keep your face off to the side while you stir things up. The sulfites were almost enough to put me on my rear at first

All the campden tablets I've ever had were used at a rate of 1 crushed tablet per gallon. You might have something different. Does the package have instructions?

Lon is right, 1 tablet per gallon. This is the amount you would use initially before you add yeast. After wine has fermented I would add 1 tablet or 1/8 tsp to 5 gallon batch every other month while it ages.

It also depends on what stage of the process you are at.
For fruit/berry/grape wines you add some kmeta at the beginning to kill off any wild yeast and I believe this is at the rate of 1 tablet per gal ? I expect you also add some Kmeta when you stabilize these wines, but not sure of the dosage.
For kit wines, you add a package of Kmeta at stabilization and there is roughly 1-1 1/2 tablespoons in these, I believe.
Then for bulk aging/ storage of wine you add Kmeta at the rate of about 1/4 tsp per 6 gal.

Usually, it is the wine yeast that is used one packet per 5 Imperial gallons (6 US gallons).

Steve

good to see so many are in agreement!
Will be adding my yeast in an hour or two..

Since some of you are wondering.... its Apple Cider!

Recipe:
*1gal 10Pure Apple Juice
*1/3lb. Sugar
*1/2tsp Pectic Enzyme
*1/2tsp Energizer
*1 Campden (crushed)
*1pkg Yeast

So I put 7gal. jucie, 2 1/3cups sugar, 3 1/2 tsp pec., 3 1/2 tsp energizer, 7 campden.

Thats about right When it comes to adding at the end as an anti oxidant use a little less as 3 1/2 campden tablets are the equivalent of 1/4 tsp of k-meta which is good for 5-6 gallons so in your ase Id probably add 5 tablets and youll be good.

the fermentaion is just about done... Sg was .996 this morn, will check again on monday. It is still bubbling slowly!

The recipe said to rack into secondary fermt at 1.040 let it set for 2wks, rack, and set for 1 wk to clear. Then and sugar to back sweeten and bottle. Use champagne or soda bottles.

So I'm guessing that I don't stablize the yeast and it will carbonate the cider once it is bottled?

And can I use the spring top bottles? Or does it need to be a beer cap / wired cork...was going to post a pic but I don't have enough post yet!?!?!

Correct, dont use sorbate and yes you could use the swing top bottles (Grolsh) 1 more post and you could upload links and pics, sorry its a spam setting so that we dont get 1000's of spam links!

so it looks like the fermentation is complete!:db Now I just have to wait for it to clear.

Does it have to stay in the carboy to clear or can I rack it to a bucket with an airlock? I know I could bottle it but I want to make it carbonated. And that would be a whole lot of work. Bottle, unbottle, clean bottles, and rebottle..

You need to leave it in the carboy so as not to expose it to too much 02. I would use a fining agent to do this quick so as to get this into bottles to recarb mainly because you are not dding any sulfite to protect this batch during.

Latest posts

Back