I bought some corks....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smikes

Reaction score
..from a place based on price,shipping . They arrived wrapped losely in a shopping bag, not sealed and under sulfite gas. I put them in a pail with 8 oz of sterilizing stength kmet in a cup. Can I trust these corks to be safe? These are the composite type.

Sorry George, you had the next best price...
smiley9.gif

There are some things that cheapest is definitely not the best. There are many horror stories about corks just like you purchased. The generally end up ruining a good wine to save a couple pennies per bottle. Just not worth it in my opinion. The composite type corks can become contaminated and let bacteria get in your wine. This doesn't happen all the time, but why chance it. Spend the extra dollar and get the best corks out there for the money from George.

I just didn't expect corks to be shipped that way. If they don't respond I will not use them. Too much time into a bottle of wine to risk a cork spoiling it.

Jobe had bought corks like that and sent me a few wines and I had 1 heck of a time getting them out of the bottle. They just kept breaking apart and I ended up with all sorts of cork pcs in the wine. Georges corks are the only 1's I use. I do care about prices form most things but this is 1 item I will pay extra for although the price for Georges corks are very competitive and the quality is awesome!

Yes dear. I'm sure that they will spend a few days in the k-meta. You were planning in leaving them in w/the k-meta for a few days, weren't you?

Sorry, away for a while. I have 8 oz of kmet in a glass, under a colonder in a covered pail. Should I not leave them in too long, will they absorb too much moisture?

Since some of you say they should be ok, I will use them.

Thanks for the responces!

Look for other ways to save money in wine making other than corks. If you consider your cost of the wine itself is $2-10 per bottle, saving even 5 cents per bottle is way too much risk. If you only throw out one batch, you may never recoup your savings.

As an aside, one of my competitors sells corks that were overruns for wineries at about $.10 each. 3 of my customers have purchased those corks and wound up with tainted wine that had to be thrown out. The cheapest price is very rarely the best deal.

Just buy from George!!!!

Haha.... I am stoked.

I just bought my starter kit yesterday.

I am working in texas, So I made the drive over to the store, George hooked me up nicely.

Gaudet helped me find this site. And now I am going to start my first batch.

Sorry for changing this subject.... So I will direct it back...... George has great corks!!! haha

then WELCOMEGoodfella !

You picked a great hobby er obsession. Let us know if you need help.

Goodfella!! Welcome to the site!!! You are going to have soooo much fun!!

What is your first kit????
smiley4.gif

I have not got the wine kit yet.... Just the supplies. (deluxe kit)

George made a recomendation of kits, But it was not in stock yet. So I am going to wait.

Any suggestions for the very best wine kit avalible? I will pay whatever I need to...

Goodfella

Goodfella said:
I have not got the wine kit yet.... Just the supplies. (deluxe kit)

George made a recomendation of kits, But it was not in stock yet. So I am going to wait.

Any suggestions for the very best wine kit avalible? I will pay whatever I need to...

Goodfella

I think all the companies make good kits. I tend to lean toward the Mosti All Juice kits. Wine Expert Estate Series and the Crushendo kits are really good. Cellar Craft has grape pack kits that are great to. Just stick to the higher end kits in any of the brands and you will do fine.

Latest posts

Back