Cellar Craft hydrometer reading

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trudy

Reaction score
I stayed on the 3rd of October chardonnay wine kit from wilkinsons. Taste good and smells goods but the reading is stuck on 1.012. There are no air bubbles so it's definitely finished fermenting.

The reading has been 1.012 since November I thought it would be ready to bottle by now being a kit.

The reading has been 1.012 since November I thought it would be ready to bottle by now being a kit.

Hi Trudy,

Do you by chance know what your starting sg was and what yeast you used. If the sg was high and you used a low alcohol yeast then it would be done but if not it could be stuck. What temp is the area that you have your wine at?

I didn't do a starting sg because this is the first time I did this so didn't realise I had to. The yeast is just the one with the kit

Is this a one gallon kit? I would make sure the temp is up to 70 degrees and see what happens. I would be concerned on bottling a wine that I wasn't sure what the starting gravity was and it beign 1.012 now.

As Julie said, bring the wine into a warm environment if it is not already (about 69° to 74°). Stir it real good to make sure it is all degassed. Did this kit use an f-pack or was it sweetened at all? If so did you put in all the chemicals already (meta and sorbate)?

Test it one more time in a week. If you're still getting the same hydrometer reading, I would add abut extra meta and bottle.

Since you said this is your first time, I advise you to take the above steps to ensure no bottle bombs. I'f it was mine, I would call it done and bottle it, taking the risk.

Latest posts

Back