Hw much Additional Sugar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rewam

Junior
Reaction score
Ever had one of those times when you think the answer to a question should be so simple and yet for some reason you just cannot grasp it.....
I recently started some mandarin wine.
I "minced" the mandarins through a meat mincer complete with the skins (very course so as not to break seeds)and put everything in carboys, aprox. 60 liters.
I took a sample of the juice without pulp and the SG was 1.035.
I added K-metta and pitched the yeast the next day to reduce unwanted nasties.
now I am trying to work out how much sugar to add to bring up the ABV. (by sugar I mean raisins and white sugar)
I am trying to extract the maximum amount of flavour from the pulp so until I rack and strain the liquid off the pulp I have no idea of exactly how much liquid there will be. So do I;
wait until the fermentation finishes and then add extra sugar and try to restart the fermentation?
Start a new wine with the raisins and sugar and blend when both are finished?
or am I missing some very simple "other" method?
Any thoughts?
Thank you

I think you are going to get more questions than answers.
Crush 1/10 the original volume mix in k meta. Add sugar until sg meets your target let it sit to permeate for accuracy.
I would start with this info given to me here.
1 lb of sugar raises sg of 1 gallon 40 points.
Or just add 15 to 16 lbs of sugar to get to about 1.075 and call it good
It makes no difference that you will be tossing some, its a gallon of must.
Some one will question using raisins, lots of theories about them. I have no issue and believe thier oxidation will fall out.
There should be flavor to spare in this but i think adding sugar late would normally cook flavor and bouquet off.
Ferment cool to slow the fermentation and preserve bouquet.

Hello Meadmaker, thank you so much for taking the time to reply and sharing your knowledge.
It is very much appreciated.
I will add the sugars and ferment through although.
I

Back