hurricaines coming my way

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bg7mm

Reaction score
well, looks like we're in for another wild ride, i live south of new orleans, about 5 miles from the coast on bayou lafourche in galliano, we're not running for this one, my home has withstood the worst in the past forty years and it's still here so i think the safe place to be is home, two boats in the drive way so....... tying everything down today for the ride and it's looks like it might be a very long ride

stay safe everyone

I am with you on this one except I will be camped out at Thibodaux Regional working in the ICU

Been raining here for 24 hours, not that much wind yet, hope the storm plays out before it gets to you.
Had all my wine stored under the trailer house I live in, had to get it all out as the water sometimes gets under the trailer. 179 bottles, took a while. Did'nt realize I had that much wine, thiink I will sit out making any more for a few months. Could have a hell of a hurricane party, ha good luck up there, Loren:slp

I am with you on this one except I will be camped out at Thibodaux Regional working in the ICU

toddrod, was close to you last night, went frogging in lake beouf, we caught 110 frogs. yesterday mourning i went crabbing in grand bayou behind basons marina, caught 85 hugh select male crabs, worn out from the playing, now i have to spend the next two days tying everything down, spent the day today moving boats and getting things stored around the house that can fly away

crazy stuff those meteorologist, yesterday i was fine, today i might die tuesday!!!!!!!

Good luck everyone and stay safe! Keep us posted when you can. If you safely can, please post picture for those of us who live up north.

wind beginning to push here, you can feel it in the air theres something bad coming, for you who have been thru this know what i'm talking about, you know it's not a thunderstorm coming but something much bigger, light rain earlier but nothing yet to harm us. news keeps moving the dang thing a little west on each update, by the looks of it i'm going to take a direct hit. going to be a long event. grounds already saturated from a month or more of constant rain here so expecting alot of downed trees

i think we're ready for it, hope we are, lots of what we might need for a few days, if the water can stay away we'll be ok when it's over. 3:56 in the morning here. new update at 4 so we'll see what they say, i'll keep you guys updated as long as i can, once we lose power which i expect in the next few hours, i have no way of contact with the world unless by cell.

BG7MM - It looks like the core is going to pass over both of our homes. I am 3 miles west of Lake Des Allemands.

Plans for this morning are to strip all the remaining bronze muscadine grapes from their vines as they will not be there tomorrow. I test ran my portable natural gas generator yesterday and she is working fine where as most of my neighbors were trying to ungum there carberators on their gensets.

Here is a little how to video I made this morning on making my generator trifuel. I pretty much run it off NG these days.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxnIveicTdY[/ame]

BG7MM - It looks like the core is going to pass over both of our homes. I am 3 miles west of Lake Des Allemands.

Plans for this morning are to strip all the remaining bronze muscadine grapes from their vines as they will not be there tomorrow. I test ran my portable natural gas generator yesterday and she is working fine where as most of my neighbors were trying to ungum there carberators on their gensets.

everything tested here yesterday mourning also. we're ready for whatever comes, i'm in galliano, just a tad west of you, models showing the eye coming right over us . sometime tommorow . i tied all the arbors down yesterday on the grape and muscadine vines. not concerned about anything on vines now, family and home first priority at the moment. tried to re-enforce everything from the direction i thought we'd get most wind. peach trees taking a beating now, young trees i planted this past spring, going to stake and brace with lines in a few minutes before bad rain starts, by the looks of radar , we're in for it in the next few hours. first bad bands of rain coming in a couple hours, not terribly bad now outside but looks like things are going to get much worst before dark here. check again in a few hours if power allows, got camera charged to get pics for dan

HURRICANE PARTY! It's just barely a Cat. 1 -- enjoy yourselves!!! :dg

3:03 pm, lights dimmed twice a few mintues ago, beginning to hear wind whistle abit thru houses and trees, branches down on the ground already on pecan trees and banana trees, house next down has roof issues already, tin rattling about an hour now. theres a tree next door that doesn't look good, upwind against the neighbors shed. i got a feeling his shed will feel the tree soon, old tree with desease. we hear it cracking already.

should be picking up in intensity real soon. a light rain the past couple hours. a boat on a trailer went rolling down a neighbors yard. gonna get exciting here real soon. update later if i can

losing my mind, sitting here waiting, so, i just bottled a few of white muscadine. no where to stack it, can't get to racks, all the kids have inflatable beds in the living room blocking my way. dang kids, i'll have to sit them down and explain to them you never block the way to wine racks

Last edited:
You may have just enough time for that important family discussion in the next couple hours...

power went out an hour or so ago, but i was shocked when it just came back on, wind is whipping here now, tree branches already laying on the ground around the place

another update later if power allows

Latest posts

Back