How's this year's garden

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
noticed that the Japanese Beatles discovered my basil. Spent about an hour burning them off with a stick lighter.

Damn things are annoying...

This is today's potato "harvest". About 5 lbs of new white potatoes. In the spring we had a bag that was getting old and the eyes were growing out so just for chuckles I put them in the garden and dug them up today. :db

You folks are disgusting:? So far we have some corn, lots of peppers, two cherry tomatoes and lot of weeds. At least the vineyard looks better than the garden

Got maters? One weeks production........ I have a bunch of Jalapeños that look to be ready. I think I see a big ol batch of fresh salsa this week! :db

We'll be harvesting our second batch of jalapeño peppers this coming weekend. First batch yielded 22 jars of jelly. Dumped over Philly cream cheese and spread on pita chips, it's a huge winner.

Planted my garden really late this year. Just getting my first ripe tomatoes. Have had plenty of beans. Starting beans/zucchini/cucumbers that should all be harvested in late September, when all the local produce is disappearing. Funny how the tomato in the pot always seems to do better than the ones in the garden, though I will get an immense harvest when they do come. My Roma plants are really loaded this year, but don't expect those for another two weeks.

8-2-16_echinacea.jpg

8-2-16_potted-mater.jpg

8-2-16_maters.jpg

8-2-16_beaners.jpg

Made some salsa with these just the other day. Got another basket full. The tomatoes are coming daily so I will be canning plain tomatoes the beginning of next week. Forgot to snap a pic of my jalapeño and bell peppers I used in the salsa why do my pics always post up side down?

image.jpg

For some reason, my cucumbers simply quit on me. The leaves are all curled up and dead. Not sure why, I have been watering on a regular basis.

garden is pretty much a desert now, just burnt up, burnt out. Except for the zinnias....they are still covered in blooms.
No rain in sight. Fall tomatoes and some greens are residing on the back porch awaiting a little cooler weather before actually hitting the garden....put in too soon, they just burn up...too late and you may get a killing freeze...it's a crap shoot.

Oh, for you folks with a tomato surplus, go here and check out the Tomato Jam that Jerricurl posted. That stuff is amazingly good, simple to make, easy to customize to your tastes.

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50021&page=2

Last edited:
For some reason, my cucumbers simply quit on me. The leaves are all curled up and dead. Not sure why, I have been watering on a regular basis.

Have you or anyone or thing been walking on the vines? That will kill them fast. Cukes are more sensitive to fungus (mildew) than grapes. Or they just reached the end of there life cycle.

Have you or anyone or thing been walking on the vines? That will kill them fast. Cukes are more sensitive to fungus (mildew) than grapes. Or they just reached the end of there life cycle.

As far as I know, no-one has stepped on them. I have them in Earth-Box planters and they were doing just fine. I planted them, they shot up for about a month, produced a TON of flowers, then just stopped growing. I noticed that the leaves had holes in them, but there did not seem to be any type of insect that damaged them. The leaves then started browning around the edges and now the vines are mostly dead. The most I managed to get out of them were just a handful of tiny cucumbers.

OOOOOH THE HEARTACHE!!!

I wonder if anyone might know what happened so that I might prevent it in future????

JohnT not only do ya need to water frequently you need to feed them also. And my cucumber roots always grow deep pull a dead one out of the pot chances are the roots got overcrowded hope this helps in some way

I did switch to an organic fertilizer. Perhaps that is the culprit.

The cucs are now officially dead. I am now reduced to raiding my friends' gardens for fresh cucumbers.

OH WHAT HEAVY SORROW!!!

Just harvested these tomatoes today. The two varieties I typically grow are Early Girl and San Marzano. I'll convert all of these into puree and can with a little fresh basil.

Tomatoes 2016.jpg

Latest posts

Back