How To Read Hydrometer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The lines on the left of the photo don't line up with the tick marks with the numbers on the right. So I think you must have a "triple scale" hydrometer that shows different scales: Brix, SG, and potential alcohol. Can you post a picture showing some other views of your hydrometer, i.e., rotate the hydrometer for the picture?

I still can’t figure how
To read the final number (.996) . Not sure what the lines are equal to . Got C in chemistry...lol
It does appear that the numbered lines aren't lining up with the graduations on the left side. I'm thinking the graduations in the picture are for the % Alchohol or Brix scale. Can you post another picture of your hydrometer, rotated a bit to the left, this time showing the full numbers (990, 1.000, etc.) and the graduations to THEIR right?

EDIT: Sorry @sour_grapes , I didn't see your response until mine posted, it was on the second page. Didn't mean to duplicate, but at least we're on the same page...............

EDIT: Sorry @sour_grapes , I didn't see your response until mine posted, it was on the second page. Didn't mean to duplicate, but at least we're on the same page...............

Wait, I thought the problem was because we were NOT on the same page! :D :D

Seriously, that happens a lot to me. I should learn to check when the post I am responding to is the last one on a page! (But I probably won't learn :) )

Wait, I thought the problem was because we were NOT on the same page! :D :D

Seriously, that happens a lot to me. I should learn to check when the post I am responding to is the last one on a page! (But I probably won't learn :) )

Ahhhh, I knew you’d catch that little page play! Hopefully you’ll be able to help OP with the hydrometer graduations with a rotated hydro-pic.

The lines on the left of the photo don't line up with the tick marks with the numbers on the right. So I think you must have a "triple scale" hydrometer that shows different scales: Brix, SG, and potential alcohol. Can you post a picture showing some other views of your hydrometer, i.e., rotate the hydrometer for the picture?
I am posting a few photos with the hydrometer. I appreciate your comments. I am making two batches of wine this one is the Luna Rosso.

Attachments

• 7F10CE26-07E7-434E-B545-2CDB9D84E098.jpeg
    7F10CE26-07E7-434E-B545-2CDB9D84E098.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 30
  • 232F9A8D-F289-4B84-98ED-D18226B0DB59.jpeg
    232F9A8D-F289-4B84-98ED-D18226B0DB59.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 28
  • 9B97FE4F-807A-4D6C-AF00-D81A63CD36A4.jpeg
    9B97FE4F-807A-4D6C-AF00-D81A63CD36A4.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
  • 6F16D551-8BE7-483C-93F0-52E24ED00877.jpeg
    6F16D551-8BE7-483C-93F0-52E24ED00877.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
  • A338A3A1-8A06-45B2-A720-EE549A7EA92C.jpeg
    A338A3A1-8A06-45B2-A720-EE549A7EA92C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
It does appear that the numbered lines aren't lining up with the graduations on the left side. I'm thinking the graduations in the picture are for the % Alchohol or Brix scale. Can you post another picture of your hydrometer, rotated a bit to the left, this time showing the full numbers (990, 1.000, etc.) and the graduations to THEIR right?

These readings are from the second batch for Diablo Rojo

Attachments

• F133A37D-87BF-42F0-AAC1-B6C0F86DA753.jpeg
    F133A37D-87BF-42F0-AAC1-B6C0F86DA753.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • 91FA528E-DCBC-4854-8458-5F54B934A19B.jpeg
    91FA528E-DCBC-4854-8458-5F54B934A19B.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
Yes, as @Johnd and I guess, you have a triple-scale hydrometer, and the tick marks you showed in your very first picture were for a different scale. The tick marks for the SG scale are on the right-hand side of your picture. It is a little hard to say without being there, but I would read your SG as about 0.998. (You should read from the bottom of the meniscus, as John often points out.)

These readings are from the second batch for Diablo Rojo
I’m at the stage where I supposed to add potassium metabisulphite and potassium sorbate .degass then add kieselsol
Yes, as @Johnd and I guess, you have a triple-scale hydrometer, and the tick marks you showed in your very first picture were for a different scale. The tick marks for the SG scale are on the right-hand side of your picture. It is a little hard to say without being there, but I would read your SG as about 0.998. (You should read from the bottom of the meniscus, as John often points out.)
thank you !

I’m at the stage where I supposed to add potassium metabisulphite and potassium sorbate .degass then add kieselsol

thank you !

I would say that you are almost at that stage. At 0.998, you may be finished, or you may have another ~0.005 points to go. How long has it been at this SG? I would be inclined to wait another week or so.

I would say that you are almost at that stage. At 0.998, you may be finished, or you may have another ~0.005 points to go. How long has it been at this SG? I would be inclined to wait another week or so.
I measured two days ago.

Do you think I should a week on both readings? I sent two reading from separate batches. I am so appreciative of your wisdom and knowledge.😊. Thank you, again.

The basic "rule" is that the reading should be below 0.998 or so, and unchanged for 3 days in a row. That is a decent rule, but there really isn't any reason to rush this process.

Thanks sour I’ve watched that video and now I know kind of how to read it. I’ll post pictures of my reading in couple days. Maybe even tomorrow. Was initially going to do it on Thursday before leaving to Vegas for my birthday.
She explains how to read the hydrometer very well!

Back