How to develop a more educated palate?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tea is always good for practicing to get the aromas and tastes.(have you ever read some of the descriptions these teas have? lol) Buy yourself some different herbal teas, without looking at the box, make one up. Smell it and write down what scents you perceive, then taste and write down all the different tastes you can pick up.When you're done ,read the box and see what the description says and how many scents/tastes you were able to pick up on.This might help you learn to do it better with wines.
I really like Dan's suggestion though because personally I'd rather sit with a bowl of jelly beans than sip tea :)
I like your idea and I may try this (my wife likes herbal teas) but I too prefer Dan's suggestion - in fact I used to play a game with my daughter when she was much younger - to guess the flavor of the jelly bean.. Brought back "delicious" memories ..:h

I only drink dry reds. I know what I like. I can pick out a wine that has high acid. I either like it or I don't. I really don't care if I can pick out vanilla, berries or whatever.

Latest posts

Back