How often, ow many batches do you have going?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always have one sad carboy because I need a carboy to rack the others into! :ft

It's all in the perspective. I have such a carboy too, but instead of being sad he's a player. While the others are monogamous, this one gets to have a new wine every few weeks. I try to surprise him with a spicy Shiraz one time and maybe a full bodied Cabernet the next. On his birthday he gets a three way blend. Nope, no sad carboys here :db

It's all in the perspective. I have such a carboy too, but instead of being sad he's a player. While the others are monogamous, this one gets to have a new wine every few weeks. I try to surprise him with a spicy Shiraz one time and maybe a full bodied Cabernet the next. On his birthday he gets a three way blend. Nope, no sad carboys here :db

I wanna spend some hangtime in ur cellar with ur hapoy carboy

This is the fullest my pipeline has ever been... $ batches bulk aging, 2-3 batches bottle aging, and 3-4 batches being consumed. All my batches are 6 gallon/23L.

Hope to have another red kit and a white (Zin) kit started before the year is out. Think next year I'd like to start with a "mist" kit and a country wine, probably a banana wine which would be my first.

Going forward I'm thinking that 10-12 batches a year should keep the pipeline full. A good 30% of any given batch is gifted.

Now that I'm living near the NY Finger Lakes region and have convenient access to juice buckets (about 1 hour drive) I'll likely be doing a few more juice buckets and a few less kits in 2017.

Right now, I have 11 6-gallon batches in various stages of fermentation and/or aging. Have another 2 3-gallon batches (leftover blends) that need to be bottled.

I just started during the summer.
I have a Dragon Blood in bulk age,
10L of additive-free Petit Syrah in bulk age
15L of regular Petit Syrah in bulk age
50L of Cab Sauv that's in secondary (this batch was done with two friends)
I just bottled my first 5L batch of mead and am planning to start another 10L sometime this week (was amazing and only 2 months old).
Im taking a break for a couple of months though. My addiction was really starting to grate on my wife's nerves. Mead is easier to work with. No crushing or pressing, so I could probably get away with another batch.

Also, my main passion is for grape wine. And being jewish, it needs to be kosher. Any juice bucket or kit will non kosher AFAIK. So that cuts out any off season batches.

I have 5 primary buckets and 6 5gallon carboys.

Bottled:

strawberry
triple berry
banana
lemon
peach mead
elderberry cider

Fermenting:
cranberry
coffee

Bulk Age:
Maple

My current basement:
Just add ML to my 66% Cab / 33% Merlot - 9 gallons
Diablo Rojo aging
RJS Amarone aging
3 gallons pineapple which I have yet to decide what to do with
Black forest port aging
5 gallons of a mead think I messed up with sorbate...has a flower flavor to it. Havent had the heart to dump yet
6 gallons a merlot aging
5 gallons blackberry
5 gallons peach
5 gallons hard cider - debating on dry hopping this one.

I have three on the go. 6 gallons of Muscat, 12 of dornfelder, and 18 of a white style dornfelder.

All are from grapes I pressed. The Muscat my own grapes, the dornfelder from a relative.

I'd love to have another batch or two going, but I have yet to do a kit wine, and we were traveling during harvest this year so the above 3 were all I could squeak in.

I do have a tiny amount of Riesling still on the vine in my backyard. They are only second year vines so not much fruit on them. I was hoping to get one 375ml bottle of ice wine from them. Will see how they look in a month or two. The biggest problem will be how to press them.

I just started last summer because I had a load of black raspberries and enough jam to last until the Apocalypse. Once I started that batch ~ BAM. I also have lots of excess melons from the garden, a good apple crop, lots of grapes, plenty of strawberries (and already plenty of jam, again)...then....... HEY - I can make wine from rhubarb, too - I got rhubarb, and look at that recipe - Mint Wine, I like mint, I got mint................
Before I knew it - I had 7 batches going, then it was fall, which is cranberry season in WI, so..........
I always picked and froze most of my fruit during the spring & summer because we made jam in the winter. Turns out - that's a good method for wine making, too. I still have 3, 2 gal batches I stabilized a month a go & just backsweetened - a black raspberry, strawberry-rhubarb, & the cranberry - I'll bottle them in a month or so.
I don't have anything in the fermenter right now. Which is OK - I need to start the garden, but now I do it with the idea of "what can I grow that will make a good wine".

Back