RJ Spagnols How much yeast nutrient?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trashy

Reaction score
ok, so it's been awhile since we made this and evidently we're too stupid to make notes, SO.........

We're doing the Island Mist Blueberry Shiraz kit (again) and we've got the juice, water, and yeast ready to go. The invert sugar preparation is almost down to the proper temperature to add it in.

How much yeast nutrient should I add? I'm aiming for high ABV.

Oh, and we'll add about half of the flavored syrup f-pack at a later date (per normal instructions).

Since this is a grape juice kit I would only add about 1 tsp of nutrient, Grape juice has a decent amount of nutrient in it already.

Since this is a kit, is there a reason why you feel that yeast nutrient is required? It is not something that I would even consider adding to a kit.

Steve

cpfan said:
Since this is a kit, is there a reason why you feel that yeast nutrient is required? It is not something that I would even consider adding to a kit.

Steve

Did you see the part about the 5lbs. of invert sugar?
smiley2.gif

trashy said:
cpfan said:

Steve

Did you see the part about the 5lbs. of invert sugar?
smiley2.gif
Yep saw that. And most people adding sugar to a mist kit don't add extra yeast nutrient. 5 lbs is a LOT (to me anyway), but still don't think that extra nutrient is required. What kind of starting sg are you expecting?

Steve

cpfan said:
Yep saw that. And most people adding sugar to a mist kit don't add extra yeast nutrient. 5 lbs is a LOT (to me anyway), but still don't think that extra nutrient is required. What kind of starting sg are you expecting?

Steve

We got 1.091 I believe. I think that George had previously suggested the nutrient, which we added to one of our previous batches. But I can leave it out, no biggie.

Some wine kit manufacturers now add nutrient as an additive in their kits!

to my knowledge, RJS has always had nutrient added to the bag of concentrate, and their choice of EC-1118 negates the need for nutrient in most cases anyways. I would just proceed as normal.

Latest posts

Back