How much Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fivebk

Reaction score
I have 6 gallons of must in my fermenter sitting in my kitchen.

My question is this :

How much wine can I expect to get from this must?????

BOB

My guesses, 5.5 unless you still have most of the skins in the must, then 5, maybe more if you press well.

If you are fermenting a red on the skins, I expect you will yield between 65 & 70% of your pre press volume. This will depend on the grape variety, how hard you press and how well you rack and settle. If it is a juice or white, you should not lose a gallon. Again this depends on how careful you are during racking.

it depends on the grape , 6 gallons of red must will produce between 2.5 and 3.5 gallons of wine post racking off the gross lees.

i'm a metric guy and I plan on 1 litre of wine for 2 kilos of grapes , and thats also how I estimate my additions of additives as many fermentation stage additives give you a grams / litre (or grams per hectolitre) guidline and this guideline is an estimate of finnished wine.

Last edited:
It also depends on how much sampling goes on before bottling, and you have to watch out for them theiving wine gremlins. LOL, Arne.

Out of 12 gallons of must ( crushed grapes ) After pressing I ended up with just a hair over 10 gallons. I pressed with SG at 1.020 put the juice back into the fermenter and let it go till 1.000 . today I racked to secondary and will let it set for awhile.

Latest posts

Back