WineXpert How much water???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyK68

Reaction score
How much water does it usually take to top off a carboy? I am looking at my carboy, and its not quite 6 galons. Its a bit below the top of the cylinder where it starts to tapper (if you coould picture that. I have a 750 ML bottle of petite sirah that I will use but looking at this carboy it will still need quite a bit of water. If I had to guess I would say at least .5 gal after the bottle of wine.
Obviously this isnt the way this should of turned out, but Im thinking this is going to be too watered down.Edited by: JohnnyK68

I don't use water but like wine (red for red, white for white) but any where between .5ml to 1.5ml is what it should take. 1/2 gallon is quite a bit. If you can buy some 4 to 8 dollar wine and top up with it but I wouldn't use more than 2 cups of water to top off with.

What stage of the kit are in? Have you degassed and stabilized and now need to top up? If it is a Wine Expert kit, I believe they state you can add up to one liter of water to a kit and they take that into account with their concentration mixture. They then advise to use a like wine to top up if needed on future steps.

Smurfe

JohnnyK, what you see is an "opportunity!"

This is the excuse for heading downtown, buying a 1-gallon jug of red wine, using it to top up, tasting for "research" and emptying so you can have a "1-gallon carboy" to add to your collection!
smiley36.gif

OilnH2O said:
JohnnyK, what you see is an "opportunity!"

This is the excuse for heading downtown, buying a 1-gallon jug of red wine, using it to top up, tasting for "research" and emptying so you can have a "1-gallon carboy" to add to your collection!
smiley36.gif

JohnnyK: this is sage advice from a very wise individual. An opportunity to excel only presents itself every once in a while. We expect a full report on all future "research" as recommended above.
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

I prefer to top up with wine not water. The amount of top up I require seem to be dependant on the wine and if I have made any modifications to it. ie.. to a cheaper kit (7l)I will add bananas and as a result I tend to get more lees...more top up is required. I then save the cheaper kits for the purpose of "top up".........a cheap bottle of wine in Canada runs you $7to $8.00 for 750mL....... so I usemy finishedcheaper wine kits instead.
JCEdited by: jcnoren

Latest posts

Back