how many hours per week will by 120 vine plot eat up?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimTheWiner

Begintner
Reaction score
So, I have a separate thread tracking the progress of my 120 vine plot that will be getting planted next month. I wanted to get some opinions on how time intensive the vineyard will be AFTER the initial trellising/planing/fencing? I spent probably 15-20 hours per week doing just the site preparation in Sept/Oct, and I know April/May will keep me very busy with the initial planting. Really want to get an idea of how time intensive it will be doing the regular "maintenance"?

Reason I ask is I work a "normal" 40 hr week (9 pm - 5 am) which allows me noon to 7 pm to get things done everyday, great for the vineyard. However, I have been contemplating the idea of opening a roadside ice cream stand. I am off Fri/Sat/Sun so that is ideal for the business. I was thinking that school will be in session until June, and I'm sure I will be done with the initial planting/trellising/etc by then, So I could be only open weekends giving my time during the week to plant, then come summer after the planting is done I could open the ice cream shop during the week. I am planning on still keeping my normal job, but maybe give away a couple days/week. Does this sound feasible. Will a 10-12 hours/week be acceptable for vineyard maintenance, or am I just dreaming. Kind of stinks, because I may not be living in the state for more than 5 years, so I may only get a couple years of grapes out of them, and then gone forever. I really want to start bringing in additional income, but afraid it won't be possible with the vineyard going. Not gonna turn back now either, too much time and energy (and others) invested.

Most of your work will be mowing. I get to spend Sundays at mine and have 250 plants. Most of last year was used for hauling water and watering with the drought we had.
I am in my 4th year and just getting the wood posts set ( just running off T posts now with one top wire) and the rest of the wires run. Jan, Feb, Mar, you will spend pruning, with that many plants it should only be about a day. Spraying is done with a 2 gallon pump up sprayer, just a few hours. Mostly mowing......
during set up, you can go the first year with just stakes at each plant, second year a few T posts with a top wire. If you can get your end posts and wires run early the big part is out of the way... did I mention mowing???

You will probably spend about 2 days a week in the vineyard that size. Some weeks may need more and some less. A big part weill be keeping ahead of weeds and yes some mowing.

My home vineyard is about 250 vines. I'm usually in the vineyard one day a week especially after bud break. My vines are 7 years old now. I also have a drip system set up to water with so that helps a lot. Count on spending a fair amount of time out there especially the older they get.

Latest posts

Back