WineXpert how many bottles do you get?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bijoy

Junior
Reaction score
I would like to know how many bottles yield one can get out of a 23 lit kit. I seem to get only 29 bottles and a half.

The Ken Ridge kits do not recommend topping up in the carboy.

At the make your own wine places they get 31 bottles out of the same 23 litres.

I am a bit confused.

I do lose some volume during racking due to the sediments at the bottom which I discard.

Any tips on getting the full yield of 30 bottles?

No I do not taste during the process....

Bijoy

I have only got 30 bottles from one kit and 29 from my last kit. I normally average 26-27 bottles but I am very conservative when I rack. I am more than happy when I get 27 bottles.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

I normally get 28- 29 bottles out of a kit. I know some of the different "6-gallon" carboys are different sizes. The ones made in Mexico (smooth glass) are 23 liters, while some of the 6-gallon Italian carboys (with the ribbed glass) are actually a little more.

I'm lucky to get 25 bottles. Although I am scared to death to pick up sediment.

earl

earl said:
I'm lucky to get 25 bottles. Although I am scared to death to pick up sediment.

earl

Don't worry about it Earl. I actually base a kit as 24 bottles and anything over is Lagniappe.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0>
<T>
<TR>
<TD =j></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

When making WE kits and following the instructions and racking to a empty carboy just before bottling I always get at least 30 full bottles...any less and you are throwing good wine away!
smiley7.gif

masta said:
When making WE kits and following the instructions and racking to a empty carboy just before bottling I always get at least 30 full bottles...any less and you are throwing good wine away!
smiley7.gif

So do you rack again and top up again and let it set some more? I rack off the lees to my primary normally. I did get more from my Limited edition kit because of the extra racking and topping up so there were no gross lees in the bottom of the carboy. When I do these extra racking I noticed it took quite a bit to top up. I still would of only got 29 and a half bottles though. I got 29 and had probably a half left over. I drank it as I attempted to bottle. Guess with my corker fiasco I should of drank a while bottle. I sure wouldn't been as stressed!

Smurfe

I follow the kit instructions. However I never directly discard my lees/sediment. I pour the sediment and any remaining liquid into a jar. After a few days of settling I am able to get a little more wine off of the dregs/lees

JC

I have heard others do this as well and have considered it. I have read many save it for top off wine. Not a bad idea I guess. I guess when my Pinot kit that I sucked some sediment in and is a bit gassy runs out, I might try that. I have been using it for top off wine so far it has worked pretty good. I have actually considered making a cheap VR white and red kit to use for topping off high end kits.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Smurfe,

Is "Lagniappe" like Cajun gravy?

I have had some kits that drop TONS of lees and some that drop little. Since the higher end kits have more solids in them, they have been the most notorious for dropping a lot of mud. So for my high end kits, I tend to top up a lot. Maybe get 26-27 bottles, where I get 29-30 bottles from the reserve kits.

I like the idea of making low end kits to use as toppers. And you wouldn't have to worry much if they were clear or if they had any age to them.

Vaughn said:
Smurfe,

Is "Lagniappe" like Cajun gravy?

I have had some kits that drop TONS of lees and some that drop little. Since the higher end kits have more solids in them, they have been the most notorious for dropping a lot of mud. So for my high end kits, I tend to top up a lot. Maybe get 26-27 bottles, where I get 29-30 bottles from the reserve kits.

I like the idea of making low end kits to use as toppers. And you wouldn't have to worry much if they were clear or if they had any age to them.

LOL, Lagniappe means "A little something extra".

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

I bottled 3 kits the other night and got 31 and a half bottles from one kit. 30 from the other and 29 from the 3rd. Guess i am getting better at it.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

I get between 28 and 30 bottles from my kits the last couple of bottles I keep for my own personal drinking don't mind if there is alittle sediment in them. Making a low end kit is a good idea for topping off. I have done that when I made my we crushendo kit I lost a lot of wine when I did the first racking the sediment in the bottom of that kit form the grape skins was unbelivable.

rottie6667Making a low end kit is a good idea for topping off. .[/QUOTE said:
What do you top a low end kit off with?? I am making make first white wine...a low end kit. In Canada a cheap bottle of wine 750ml is around $9.00. IF I need 1500 ml thatwill cost me$18.00, my cheap low end wine kit cost me $24.00.

JC

I topped my first low end kit with water. That was a mistake for me. If you
have to add 1.5 litres you might think about some alternative to liquid.
Someone (Maybe Martina) suggested adding sanitized marbles or glass
beads to bring the wine level up. I don't know what the cost is but it is a
reusable resource.

Ading grape juice to top off will also sweeten the wine somewhat if you add
it, like an f-pack, when you stabilize. Adding white grape juice (that does
not have pottasium sorbate in it) earlier will allow it to ferment and your
volume to increase.

Oh!!Oh!!!

I got ya all Beat!! i get!! 4 jugs Hmmm??
smiley4.gif
does everyone just bottle with Corks??
smiley36.gif
!!hehehe!!!! Not only that but i save the Lees inand a bedpan! I put the Lees in the coffee maker in the Morning!! and What a Good way to Start the Day!!!
smiley17.gif

Works out to be!! like!! 35 bottles!!~ snicker!!!

Leaky Spigot said:
Oh!!Oh!!!

I got ya all Beat!! i get!! 4 jugs Hmmm??
smiley4.gif
does everyone just bottle with Corks??
smiley36.gif
!!hehehe!!!! Not only that but i save the Lees inand a bedpan! I put the Lees in the coffee maker in the Morning!! and What a Good way to Start the Day!!!
smiley17.gif

Works out to be!! like!! 35 bottles!!~ snicker!!!

Are you saying you BREW the lees in your coffee maker or you filter the lees through a coffee filter? I know i am confused
smiley5.gif

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Latest posts

Back