How many batches did you have to make until you were "good" at it?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Constantly improving.... I think? I still have wines I am very proud of and others that I don't like.

The good thing about winemaking is that you can have good success as a beginner. You never stop improving, and as you learn, you can make more complex wines. But my very first wine was a big success. My second batch still has a gallon aging. For the last two Christmases, I have given it as gifts, and people ask for more.

So you don't have to be an expert to make quality wine. But as your expertise grows, you will make better wines.

There will always be funny tasting batches because it's fun to play mad wine scientist. Flops can be good blending. I thought batch one (Welches balloon wine made with bread yeast) was pretty good when we passed around the in the abandon cheese factory in Winger MN (about 35 years ago). I should re-create that recipe for shits and giggles - LITERALLY! I reprised and refinded the hobby about 9 years ago.

Always learning new tricks on improving. If you want a near perfect wine from the start buy a kit. Most of us still buy them along with anything else we make.

I keep track of every batch and I'm up to #65. Every batch is a chance to make an outstanding wine -- or not. Your chances of success improve as (and if) you continually learn and try to capitalize on that learning.

It really depends on how far you stray from "the box" before understanding what your doing. You can follow a simple recipe and get a damn good wine right from the beginning or you can totally stray and the outcome can go either way. By the way, some of the recipes out on the internet can be really good or terrible with too little fruit and a starting gravity that is way too high so please choose one and post it here for some of us to see if there is something that needs adjusting for you.

Beginners will have more success making from kits as they normally have easy to follow instructions. Less chances of making any mistakes. As you progress, using fresh or canned juices or fresh fruit, you now have the ability to experiment & tweak different recipes. I save all the recipes I can find hoping to try one in the future. Also, ask lots of questions for anything your not sure of........

It really depends on how far you stray from "the box" before understanding what your doing. You can follow a simple recipe and get a damn good wine right from the beginning or you can totally stray and the outcome can go either way. By the way, some of the recipes out on the internet can be really good or terrible with too little fruit and a starting gravity that is way too high so please choose one and post it here for some of us to see if there is something that needs adjusting for you.

i agree with wade big time. the more you try things on your own and tweak recipes, the more you'll learn. you need to try to keep the first batch of a specific wine near the same as the recipe. tweak the next ones and figure out what changed. logging helps alot.

i would say you don't really get good knowledge for 3-4 years, but it also depends on how much you are making and how involved in tweaking and tracking you are. you need to let the wine age, so that can take awhile even from first batches. you might have alot of batches going before you know how well the first one came out.

I would have to say that It took me a number of years. I first had to "Unlearn" most of what my father told me and focus on actual techniques. There were a number of early years where problems happened. I chalked these "problem" batches up to "learning experience"

My thinking is that you CAN make a darn fine wine during the get go. Winemaking is, however, a learning process.

If you are a "Beginner" I would stongly advise that you stay close to this site and be a very active member. Make it a point to share exactly what you do so that "in effect" experienced winmakers are looking over your shoulder and can advise you of potential problems.

Latest posts

Back