How long on must?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulc

Reaction score
So what is the rule of thumb for leaving fermenting juice on the skins, stems, and seeds during the primary ferment? Ferment started on Saturday; I had hoped to do a cool, slow ferment for at least a week, maybe two but I have to head to OH for a funeral Thursday evening. I am thinking I need to go ahead and get the juice off the must since I won't be here to stir the cap under. At this point, if I rack on Thursday the juice would have had 5 full days on the must to ferment. Any thoughts?

TIA, Paul

What was the SG when you started? I would check the gravity and see how it has progressed. If you are fermenting slowly it will take longer to finnish. If you are fermenting to dry it may take much longer if not rack it on one crushed and dissolved campden tablet per gallon when it is around 1.020 and let it ferment for another 30 days.

This must started at 1.110 SG. The wine makers book I have, an older one, says 48hrs for rose and 5 or 6 days being enough for a darker, fuller wine. My concern is that while I am out of town I will not be able to stir the cap after Thursday evening unit Monday night. So that will be almost 4 full days for funk to start growing on the cap. Right now the ferment is going really well...maybe the yeast has gotten far enough out in front of other stuff that allowing the cap to harden and dry would not be a problem...?

So, anyone out there that has done a 5 gal bucket of frozen grapes, I am working with Sangiovese, how long did you let it ferment on the grapes?

thanks, paulc

Do you have a press? If so I would press before heading out. You should have enough colors and tannins extracted by then. The other route would be to get somebody else to punch the cap down.

yeah, I was not sure about trusting someone else with my wine. This is my first ever from grapes so if it gets screwed up I want all credit for that:h

perhaps I will try to jerry-rig a home made "press" by Thursday evening...

thanks, paul

measured the SG this morning at 1.06 which I guess is not bad. It started at 1.110. Hopefully it has extracted a good deal of tannin and color.

Okay, so I need some solution that does not involve asking someone to come over and stir my wine. The only person that I might ask is going to be really busy this weekend with work so I hate to impose on them.

I am trying to come up with a solution that will allow the must to continue fermenting on the skins without my having to stir the must. The two ideas I have had so far would be putting a bunch of the skins into my cheese cloth sleeve and weighting it down with marbles so it is below the lever of the juice. Good or bad idea?

The other idea I had was to basically create a plexiglass plate with perhaps 1/4" holes in it that I could put on top of the must and weight the plate down enought to cause juice to rise above the top of the must. I imagine I would need to weigh it down enough to keep it below the surface but not so much to limit the open spaces between the skins...

Is this sounding too complicated to be worth it? What if I press the must real well and just hope for the best?

Any thoughts would be really appreciated. Thanks, Paul

Sounds like a submerged cap ferment.My cousin ferments his grapes like this with very good results.

Like Rock said above, you need to figure out a way to keep the solids below the surface like a sanitized weight of some sort. Maybe a lid to hold it all under with a weight on top. How long are you going to be gone is the key question though?

I leave tomorrow evening. I won't be able to stir it again until Monday evening...maybe my "plate with holes" idea with some kind of sterile weight. I have several pieces of obsidian(volcanic glass) that I could wash, sterilize, and then put on top of the plate... might be worth a try. Paul

submergered ferment seemed to work

Hey All, so I got home about lunch on Tuesday. Was not able to look at the wine until last night...and there was nothing strange growing in the primary! I was really not sure my idea would work but it seems to have been successful. I used a fresh out of the box Brute garbage can lid which it turns out is food grade plastic. I cut it to fit snugly in the 5 gal pail and drilled a bunch of holes in it. I also weighted it down with two pieces of volcanic glass that I washed and hit with k-meta.

SG is down to 1.000 so I hope to rack within the next 24hrs or so into a carboy and introduce the ML...hope it continues to go well. Tasted some of the wine last night and it is very promising.

Paul

Anyone have any thoughts on MLF? I have a packet, can't think of name off top of my head, along with 4oz of french oak. I was going to add both tonight during racking and let it sit till mid to end of April...? I expect to get about 3 gal of wine.

Any thoughts on MLF? I have not tested it for malic acid but am really just betting MLF will make the wine more drinkable.

Any thoughts on how much oak? For how long? I like oak in my wine...

TIA, paulc

Yes do Mlf also throw those 4oz of what kind of oak you have i like beans.Also what kind of wine are you making i know its a red?

So what is the rule of thumb for leaving fermenting juice on the skins, stems, and seeds during the primary ferment? Ferment started on Saturday; I had hoped to do a cool, slow ferment for at least a week, maybe two but I have to head to OH for a funeral Thursday evening. I am thinking I need to go ahead and get the juice off the must since I won't be here to stir the cap under. At this point, if I rack on Thursday the juice would have had 5 full days on the must to ferment. Any thoughts?

TIA, Paul
I sure hope you took the stems out,just re read your post.

these are crushed grapes thru M&M in CT. So there might have been 2 small pieces of stem...it is all grape skins and juice. thanks

So what kind or what brand of frozen must did you get Paul?

Latest posts

Back