How long does MLF take

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be surprised if mlf starts in the 24-gallons that have kmeta added, but I would think long and hard about adding it anyway, nothing ventured, nothing gained. If you decide not to add it to those carboys, you can over add to the 18 gallons.
I just read something on this thread that may be key to my MLF not taking off. I topped off the 18 gallons with three full bottles of my wine (one bottle per carboy) from last year's batch and of course K-Meta was added to those bottles. The addition was made when I racked off from primary buckets into the carboys. Would that be enough to stop MLF bacteria growth?

Last edited:
I just read something on this thread that may be key to my MLF not taking off. I topped off the 18 gallons with a commercial wine when I racked off from primary. Could that be the problem inhibiting MLF bacteria growth?

It's possible but my guess would still be the liquid bacteria.

More than safe if using CH 35. In response to an earlier post of yours, I might recommend trying your luck on the other wines you said you had sulfited. You will have plenty of bacteria and I couldn't hurt.

Good luck with it.
I was considering that option but the others would be in a colder environment 58-60F. The 18 gallons are in a tent with a small oil filled radiator to keep the temperatures higher. So two part question. Would MLF work in 58-60F? If it did not, is there any danger for exploding bottles down the road?

Thanks

I was considering that option but the others would be in a colder environment 58-60F. The 18 gallons are in a tent with a small oil filled radiator to keep the temperatures higher. So two part question. Would MLF work in 58-60F? If it did not, is there any danger for exploding bottles down the road?

Thanks

A little hard to answer since I could find the temp range for CH 35. But as far as exploding goes I'm not 100% sure where that comes from. Everyone doesn't put their wine through MLF. Both free and total sulfites must be taken into consideration with regard to MLF. By the time one is ready to bottle there is far too much total and free sulfites for MLF to occur. Then there are the purists ( not to be critical, it's just a style choice) who use no sulfites, rely on native MLB which doesn't always finish, and don't have exploding bottles.

A little hard to answer since I could find the temp range for CH 35. But as far as exploding goes I'm not 100% sure where that comes from. Everyone doesn't put their wine through MLF. Both free and total sulfites must be taken into consideration with regard to MLF. By the time one is ready to bottle there is far too much total and free sulfites for MLF to occur. Then there are the purists ( not to be critical, it's just a style choice) who use no sulfites, rely on native MLB which doesn't always finish, and don't have exploding bottles.
Great. Thank you.

I contacted the manufacturer in Germany. CH35 will ferment in the range of 59 – 77 °F.

I see, thank you. I gather that he is the company represntative responsible for Germany, while working for the Danish company Chr. Hansen. That makes sense. (+45 is the country code for Denmark.)

Latest posts

Back