How long does MLF take

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that the product that is good for 66 gallons? I found two different packages. One was $20 Viniflora Oens the other $29 Viniflora CH 35. So here is a last ditch question. If I reinoculated with one of the above, would it complete quicker?
Yes each package is good for 66 gallons, very cost effective and reliable and has a very high sulfite and ph tolerance will complete malo in nearly anything.

66 gallons, You can weigh it but I found the easiest way is to mix the entire packet with a little water or wine and pour measured amounts in each carboy.
Could I use the entire package for 18 gallons? I am assuming you cannot save once opened. Also, can I remain topped off at 1/2” or will it spill over into the airlock. And, do I need any type of nutrients. I believe I have some Fermax and Go Ferm.

I've used the WLP-675 with success but was wondering if it wasn't successful, what would be the results in switching strains after inoculation? Has anyone tried switching or is it best to just use more MLF nutrient (like Opti-malo) and re-inoculate with the same strain?

I'm sure many of you are tired by all these MLF questions of mine. Anyway here goes. As noted above I used W-4007 and WLP 675. I tend to agree that perhaps it never started. I ordered a package of Viniflora CH 35 and plan to inoculate when it arrives. I also purchased some nutrient Opti Malo Plus. The CH 35 is enough for 66 gallons. I have 18 gallons where Malo failed so no K-Meta added. I also have about 24 gallons that have K-meta in the carboy. It was mentioned earlier in this thread that CH 35 works in almost any environment. Can I add CH 35 to the treated carboys or just add to the three original carboys that have no K-meta. If the answer to option two is "no", can I split the entire package of CH 35 into 18 gallons. Thanks

I would be surprised if mlf starts in the 24-gallons that have kmeta added, but I would think long and hard about adding it anyway, nothing ventured, nothing gained. If you decide not to add it to those carboys, you can over add to the 18 gallons.
Thanks. 18 gallons it is. When are nutrients added.

So my question is this…just pressed my frozen must and got 4 gallons of juice….should I rack into a 5 gallon carboy or 3 gallon carboy and a 1 gallon jug? I assume I would need to top up if I did the 5 gallon, but not excited to top up with a gallon of commercial wine as I start MLF.

So my question is this…just pressed my frozen must and got 4 gallons of juice….should I rack into a 5 gallon carboy or 3 gallon carboy and a 1 gallon jug? I assume I would need to top up if I did the 5 gallon, but not excited to top up with a gallon of commercial wine as I start MLF.
My understanding is the larger the vessel the better off you are. I try to avoid 1 gallon jugs.

The better choice would be a large bucket. Foam can clog your airlocks if you don’t provide any space. You’ll primary ferment, say a week (?) then rack to the largest carboy that will leave the minimum air space. If that means getting out the 1 gallon jug, so be it.

If I go the 5 gallon carboy, Will the commercial wine used to top up affect the MLF process? Not excited about having 20% of this batch being a commercial wine addition :(

The better choice would be a large bucket. Foam can clog your airlocks if you don’t provide any space. You’ll primary ferment, say a week (?) then rack to the largest carboy that will leave the minimum air space. If that means getting out the 1 gallon jug, so be it.

I just completed primary and pressed, yielding 4 gallons. It’s settling in a bucket now and will rack off gross lees tomorrow And the start Mlf.

If it was me, I’d rack all of your containers of must at the 1 week point into a large bucket, then inoculate with MLF, then rack into suitable carboys. This will insure all your containers have an equal concentration of MLF. The extra step will also get a boost of oxygen while releasing some CO2.
I wouldn’t add store bought until it’s a few months old.

If it was me, I’d rack all of your containers of must at the 1 week point into a large bucket, then inoculate with MLF, then rack into suitable carboys. This will insure all your containers have an equal concentration of MLF. The extra step will also get a boost of oxygen while releasing some CO2.
I wouldn’t add store bought until it’s a few months old.
Perfect, thanks that’s what I was thinking would be best also.

oh and it just hit me! You can’t add commercial wines prior to MLF completion as the S02 will inhibit MLB growth….

Last edited:
During mlf, since there is very little co2 coming off, it is important that your wine be topped up. The 3 gallon, 1 gallon is the way to go. It doesn't matter if each one gets the exact same amount of mlb.
My recommendation for people is if you make enough buy a variable tank you can put the lid right down on the wine and it will be safe and still vent whatever co2 mlf will produce. You can get the tanks in small sizes.

worth the investment long term if you will make wine often.

that’s what I use, I fill several 75 gallon tanks yearly.

Latest posts

Back