How long does K-meta last?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abefroman

Reaction score
How long does K-meta last?

I have some that's over a year old. When I shake and smell the bottle I can smell the sulphur but its not very strong.

Can this still be used for stabilizing?

(I have some more on order)

If mixed about 3 months. If dry idk but I got some In a 5 gallon bucket (bought a BIG bag) and open the lid and the crap will knock you down.

Well, I have used a bottle of k-meta that was more than 25 years old and it worked just fine. It's pretty stable when dry. Not that I'm recommending that to others. ;)

If your making additions to stabilize wine or raise free SO2 before bottling, I would use new(less than 18 months). Save the older stuff for making sanitizing rinse. If your Kmeta has lost some strength, it won't impact your rinse effectiveness much since the conc of SO2 is so high already in the rinse.

I agree with Treeman. I have a lot of old K-meta I use for sanitizing, using a bit more than I would if it were new, but for my wine I use newer stuff. BTW, the older stuff is good for sanitizing many things besides winemaking equipment. I use it for sanitizing kitchen sponges, counter tops, Tupperware and other plastic storage and mixing containers, etc. All you need is ventilation.

Latest posts

Back