How long ahould i wait inbetween racks?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What type of wine? Kit or juice? Usually you rack off the primary fermentation bucket. Then in about 3 or 4 weeks. Then again in a couple months... But if it is a kit you should follow the kit instructions until you get the feel a little better.

as Sdelli said with a kit you sould deffinently follow directions. With fruit I usually rack of skins/pulp after 2-4 weeks, when ever sg=1.00 or less, then I rack every month till it is completely clear this usually takes 3-6 months.

Each time you rack, you add a little oxygen to the wine. Oxygen is what sets off oxidation, so you generally want to limit it.

I wouldn't rack more often the once every 6 to 8 weeks or so.

I only make grape wines. I bulk age my wines and I generally add a clearing agent to start clearing. Once I add the clearing agent, I generally won't rack more than 3 times over the next year, depending on how often I get a new sediment build up and that varies. One of those rackings is at bottling time; I always rack before bottling just to make sure... nothing worse than getting down to the bottom of the source carboy and finding there really was sediment that you didn't see.

Latest posts

Back