WineXpert How is a port made

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrs26ja

Reaction score
Well I just purchased a port from Wine Expert. This is only my third kit, but I was wondering how you canmake a port and have it taste good after only 3-6 months? I was under the impression that ports spend years in the barrell. What is it that Wine Expert does to the juice to make this happen?

What these kit manufactures do to get the taste of a port is add flavorings in with the finishing pach hich is not allowed for wineries to do.

rrs26ja,

In essence, you are making a wine with 'port-style' flavorings, as opposed to making a Port. Nino mentioned this at Winestock on the subject of the possibility of an icewine. He said something to the effect of, "It's not Icewine, because the fruit would cost a fortune to get. It's an Icewine-style wine."

Most commercial ports will come in ruby or tawny styles, for example. Of all of the port wine that I have seen, any combinations of flavors like orange, chocolate, berries, et cetera do not come into play unless those are flavors that are pulled out of the wine itself by taste. The best part with kits like this is that you can make a sweet dessert wine relatively easily and it's enjoyable to drink. I'm sure Wade can attest to that as well.

- Jim

Back