How high can I go?

Discussion in 'Wine Cellar & Storage Forum' started by mendozer, Dec 16, 2019.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Dec 16, 2019 #1

mendozer

mendozer

mendozer

I'm planning to make fairly simple racks like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Stackable-Modular-Storage-Wobble-Free-Capacity/dp/B008XPLJFO?th=1

I'm wondering just how high I can go. I'm going to be framing up walls in my mud room to be my cellar and it'll have wall vented cooling. The total height of the room is about 10 feet. I probably won't stack wine that high, but 8 feet maybe, then a shelf at the top for some storage. I would be linking all the racks together (like a vertical strip once everything's assembled) then likely angle iron mounting that to the wall. I'm picking this design because it'll be super easy to make with 2x4s for the stackable layers and 1x4 for the bottle racks. Any thoughts on the limit of stacking?

2. Dec 16, 2019 #2

Johnd

Johnd

Johnd

Large Member WMT Supporter

Structurally, you should be able to do 8-10 feet with that very easily. As you noted, stability will be the key, and making sure that they’re well anchored to the wall, each other, the 1x4’s are routed deeply enough into the 2x4’s to prevent rolling, and sitting flush on the floor, would be my areas of attention during construction.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    gorillla68 likes this.
  3. Dec 16, 2019 #3

salcoco

salcoco

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker WMT Supporter

I would not set flush to floor. allow at least 1 to 2 ft clearance. use the bottom area for storage of wine making equipment or even carboys. it is pretty hard to keep refuse and dust out of the bottom rows. I would go at least 90 inches which is three rack high

gorillla68 likes this.
  4. Dec 16, 2019 #4

mainshipfred

mainshipfred

mainshipfred

Junior Member WMT Supporter

I agree with not starting on the floor and you can probably go as high as you want as long as you attach it to the wall as mentioned. My only thought is with the cost of the clear or select pine 1x4 alone your material cost would be close to the cost of the packaged unit.

gorillla68 likes this.

Draft saved Draft deleted