How high can I go?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mendozer

Reaction score
I'm planning to make fairly simple racks like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Stackable-Modular-Storage-Wobble-Free-Capacity/dp/B008XPLJFO?th=1

I'm wondering just how high I can go. I'm going to be framing up walls in my mud room to be my cellar and it'll have wall vented cooling. The total height of the room is about 10 feet. I probably won't stack wine that high, but 8 feet maybe, then a shelf at the top for some storage. I would be linking all the racks together (like a vertical strip once everything's assembled) then likely angle iron mounting that to the wall. I'm picking this design because it'll be super easy to make with 2x4s for the stackable layers and 1x4 for the bottle racks. Any thoughts on the limit of stacking?

I'm planning to make fairly simple racks like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Stackable-Modular-Storage-Wobble-Free-Capacity/dp/B008XPLJFO?th=1

I'm wondering just how high I can go. I'm going to be framing up walls in my mud room to be my cellar and it'll have wall vented cooling. The total height of the room is about 10 feet. I probably won't stack wine that high, but 8 feet maybe, then a shelf at the top for some storage. I would be linking all the racks together (like a vertical strip once everything's assembled) then likely angle iron mounting that to the wall. I'm picking this design because it'll be super easy to make with 2x4s for the stackable layers and 1x4 for the bottle racks. Any thoughts on the limit of stacking?

Structurally, you should be able to do 8-10 feet with that very easily. As you noted, stability will be the key, and making sure that they’re well anchored to the wall, each other, the 1x4’s are routed deeply enough into the 2x4’s to prevent rolling, and sitting flush on the floor, would be my areas of attention during construction.

Last edited:
I would not set flush to floor. allow at least 1 to 2 ft clearance. use the bottom area for storage of wine making equipment or even carboys. it is pretty hard to keep refuse and dust out of the bottom rows. I would go at least 90 inches which is three rack high

Latest posts

Back