How do I deal with a bacterial infection?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans

Junior
Reaction score
So I screwed up. Left my wine too long. Didn't manage So2. Didn't keep the bung filled. Now I have an infection.

It's on my red wine (Baco Noir grape from an old vine out back). Fermentation is long over. MLF too for that matter. They smell fine, so I don't think their too far gone though. One had a little white scum on it that I assume is flowers of wine and I need to add some tablets.

My question though is how to do this? Several threads say you are supposed to, but I am confused about whether I should rack my wine first, and them add a tab, skim it off, rack it and then add a tab, or add the tab and let it work for a week and then rack it.

Lastly, my other carboy has something different growing on it. It's brown and patchy and bits sank when the wine was disturbed. I assume this is just a different manifestation of the bacteria, but am I wrong? (photo attached)

IMG_0061.jpg

I don't have an answer for you but repost your question in beginners or general winemaking for more responses the white film I've seen before add some kmeta to the wine stir and check in a couple days also make sure wine is topped up

If I had this, I would filter a few a few times at .5 micron, then hit it with 100 ppm of SO2, knowing a lot of the free SO2 is going to be taken up right away.

just rack as siphoning will be from the bottom of the carboy. when about a inch or so of wine is left let it remain. flowers of wine only affect the top layer of wine . do a double dose of SO2 and check you ph. taste the wine in about two weeks and see if still okay. if ph is to high add some acid

Keep the air out. Airlock or solid stopper. But keep the air out. Keep the wine topped up! Flowers of Wine (mycoderma) is a yeast infection that needs O2 so a heavy dose of Sulfite as well.

Are you getting any nail polish remover type smell? If so there could be an aceta problem as well. So2 will help that as well, 50 ppm initial dose, in a week if you can/want to run labs to see where the free so2 level is, it should have dropped quite a bit as it binds with the aceta and drops out, then you bring it back up to 50 ppm and let it sit again, once it stabilizes then your good to go, and let the so2 get back dwn to whatever level is appropriate for you pH. If you don't run labs then run it through the initial dose wait a week and add a little bit more, take out all headspace and if you cought it before it could infect the whole carboy then you are probably ok

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back