How Can I Make a Label Similar To This?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadwarriorsvt

Reaction score
I'm trying to go for that "antique" kind of look with my labels. I'd like the majority of the label to look similar to this "WANTED" poster.

WANTED.jpg

Here is the picture I'd like to use in the center of the label. How can I get the rest of the white label to have that antique beige tone to it? I'm only proficient with the Avery program at this time. Thanks for any guidance.

dock4.jpg

I'm not sure if you're going to use the wanted poster, but I'll assume you're not. An easy way to simulate it would be to take a photograph of a piece of parchment paper (or any other decorative paper you like) and use that for your background. Hope this helps.

Yea, not going to use an actual WANTED poster, just want the color tone of it. I think your suggestion may work well. Thanks for the input.

Yes, that is what I'm looking for. If you don't mind, I'll save this pic as a starting point for me. Thanks.

I'll have plenty of room for the date, ABV, etc., etc. around the edges. I may start labeling all my wines The Lonely Dock Vintner only changing the specific wine info.

Last edited:
You betcha .... I like the name btw! good luck and post us a pic when you get a bottle labeled.

I'm trying to go for that "antique" kind of look with my labels. I'd like the majority of the label to look similar to this "WANTED" poster.

Here is the picture I'd like to use in the center of the label. How can I get the rest of the white label to have that antique beige tone to it? I'm only proficient with the Avery program at this time. Thanks for any guidance.

With Avery you can attach the wanted poster first. Now use the crop funtion and save just the center of the picture. Once you've done this select the function to save it to template size and then make it your background.

I would consider printing it on brown kraft paper and then tearing the edges against a ruler (instead of cutting them apart) to get the rough look. It will look far more authentic than any simulated brown paper that's printed on a laser or ink-jet, and it will be dirt cheap!

You could also burn the edges with a flame to get a really rustic look.

I'll look into the brown craft paper as an option. I'm guessing they sell it at most arts & crafts stores? How about Office Depot, Office Max, etc.? If it came with an adhesive back would be great to! If not, any favorite ways to stick it to a bottle?

You might find it at an office supply store, but an arts & craft store (or online) would definitely be a safer bet. Regular old glue sticks work really well: they're inexpensive and easy to find, non-toxic, apply easily, give you a good smooth adhesion, and will come off nicely when soaked in hot water. I hear that some people use milk, but it sounds messy to me and I haven't tried it.

You can also put it in a coffee bath to age it. There are many things you can do creatively, including all the great suggestions above, to get different effects and it all depends on how much effort you want to put in. Another option for paper is a scrapbooking store (not sure if they even exist anymore), but any store like that or arts store will have hundreds of amazing papers to choose from. Happy designing!

Last edited:
I don't know if your serious or not but that's really funny. :dg

I was serious. That particular brown paper/design looks awesome with the burnt edges. I won a regional competition in high school, (decades ago) for marketing and advertisement....it was the burnt edges that pushed my ad over the top.

Bring it one step further...put actual bullet holes in it (if you happen to own a gun or someone else who does). Leave a blank area in your design for the hole(s), cut out your individual labels, stack them together between thin pieces of wood, and shoot. It's a whole lot of work and time just for a hole or two, but it's the authenticity that's the branding hook. Like I said...your imagination is the limit depending on how much effort you want to put in.

Thanks for the ideas. Since my wine for these labels is still in the primary, I've got time to try out different schemes. The bullet hole and burnt edge will get tested as well as the coffee bath. Wife suggested a tea bath. I'll definitely show you guys the end product. I really do appreciate all the suggestions!

How about something like this??? sorry I just seen this and thought it's always good to have alot of choices to play with

dock4.1.jpg

Back