How are these ph, TA and SO2 readings?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teebone673

Junior
Reaction score
Hi guys, first time posting. This forum has been a big help so far. Here is my question...

I am doing a WE Estate Columbia Valley Riesling. It has been bulk aging for about 6 months and I decided to splurge on the Vinmetricas SC-300 to be able to check all my levels. I tasted the wine before I did the test an it tasted very flabby. When I tasted it about a minth ago it was very good, not flabby at all. So I hooked up the SC-300 and these are the readings I got.

ph 3.28
TA 6 g/L
SO2 6 ppm

My plan before I got the SC-300 was to cold stabalize this Riesling, but my question is with these reading is CS a good idea? If not what do I need to adjust to get the reading more where they need to be? Just guessing it seems my ph is good, the TA is low and the SO2 is very low.

Thanks for any help you could give me.

Todd

I highly doubt you need top cold stabilize with a W.E kit and most kits like thgis are balanced as much as they can be. Your S02 reading is very very low unless you meant to say 60ppm!

I highly doubt you need top cold stabilize with a W.E kit and most kits like thgis are balanced as much as they can be. Your S02 reading is very very low unless you meant to say 60ppm!

Hi Wade, thanks for the reply. What did you think of those readings? Anything I need to add besides SO2? The TA # seemed a little low to me. Or you think it is ok. Thew wine does tatse flabby comepared to a month ago.

Never mess with a kit except for Sulfite.

You need a huge dose of Sulfite. Use the Winemaker mag sulfite calculator to get you back up to snuff before bottling.

Never mess with a kit except for Sulfite.

You need a huge dose of Sulfite. Use the Winemaker mag sulfite calculator to get you back up to snuff before bottling.

Hi Mike, so don't worry about the TA reading? And are you saying don't bother cold stabalizing at all?

That is a totally exceptable ta reading for a white, in fact I wouldnt have been surprised if it had been higher. .55 - .75 are typical numbers for whites and even those #'s can be low for some whites like colc hardy hybrids. There arent to many white wine kits that need cold stabilizing and most of those are dessert wines.

That is a totally exceptable ta reading for a white, in fact I wouldnt have been surprised if it had been higher. .55 - .75 are typical numbers for whites and even those #'s can be low for some whites like colc hardy hybrids. There arent to many white wine kits that need cold stabilizing and most of those are dessert wines.

Sounds good. Thanks for the help, Wade.

Latest posts

Back