How am I doing so far?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikey Gool

Junior
Reaction score
Good day all,
3rd time making wine, would like to know if my readings are ok so far.
10/9 started Syrah in fastferment conical from 6 gal juice pail. Starting SR was 70.
10/23 SR is now 0.996.
Did not rack yet (clean out bulb).
If readings are good, what next?

I'm guessing you meant to type sg (specific gravity) and you mean 1.070 to start and ended at 0.996. Most folks suggest three digits, so we can all understand what is meant.

That seems a little low to me, just barely 10% Abv, which is considered the minimum for longer term stability. You could try adding some sugar, but your alcohol might be too high now to get fermentation started up again.

I can't help you with next steps for a fast ferment conical, never used one. But with a conventional fermenter, it would seem racking was in order.

My apologies for jumping in on this thread but this is my first year as well, grapes grew well this year and i have 5 gallons of Marechal Foch, they have been fermenting in a carboy for over about 3 weeks. Brix is 10 and
SG is 1.04. I have read numerous books but i just get more confused. What should i do next? I apologize for the inconvenience, any help would be greatly appreciated

My apologies for jumping in on this thread but this is my first year as well, grapes grew well this year and i have 5 gallons of Marechal Foch, they have been fermenting in a carboy for over about 3 weeks. Brix is 10 and
SG is 1.04. I have read numerous books but i just get more confused. What should i do next? I apologize for the inconvenience, any help would be greatly appreciated
What was the original SG, what yeast are you using, and what is the temperature of the area in which you are fermenting? Did you add yeast nutrient? If so, what kind and how much?

Yeast needs O2 for reproduction, so fermenting in a carboy slows that down. O2 is not the enemy until fermentation is complete. Most folks ferment in an open container, covered by a towel or similar item that lets air in while keeping "stuff" out. Besides, getting fruit in and out of a carboy is a serious PITA.

Brix is useful before fermentation starts, but once fermentation starts, alcohol skews the reading. There is a translation table from Brix to SG, but IMO it's clearer to use SG, even if taking a reading during fermentation of fruit is not easy. Also, use 3 digits when mentioning SG, e.g., 1.040, as it avoids misunderstanding.

Sorry to bombard you with questions, but this is all necessary to understand your situation. Your problem is fairly common, and it's normally fixable.

It may be to your benefit to start your own thread for these questions.

In addition to @winemaker81 's questions, here is one more. How are you measuring your SG? (I.e., hydrometer or refractometer?) The reason I ask is that a completed fermentation "shows up" on a refractometer at about the levels that your must presently exhibits.

What was the original SG, what yeast are you using, and what is the temperature of the area in which you are fermenting? Did you add yeast nutrient? If so, what kind and how much?

Yeast needs O2 for reproduction, so fermenting in a carboy slows that down. O2 is not the enemy until fermentation is complete. Most folks ferment in an open container, covered by a towel or similar item that lets air in while keeping "stuff" out. Besides, getting fruit in and out of a carboy is a serious PITA.

Brix is useful before fermentation starts, but once fermentation starts, alcohol skews the reading. There is a translation table from Brix to SG, but IMO it's clearer to use SG, even if taking a reading during fermentation of fruit is not easy. Also, use 3 digits when mentioning SG, e.g., 1.040, as it avoids misunderstanding.

Sorry to bombard you with questions, but this is all necessary to understand your situation. Your problem is fairly common, and it's normally fixable.
thank you for your help, Brix was 20.6, redstar yeast and the temp is 72. I added North Country nutrient 5 tsp to the 5 gallons. Had great fermentation for the first 2 weeks, again thank you

How are you measuring your SG? (I.e., hydrometer or refractometer?) The reason I ask is that a completed fermentation "shows up" on a refractometer at about the levels that your must presently exhibits.
I don't use a refractometer, so I forget that folks take the reading literally, and during fermentation it's wrong. Paul is absolutely correct -- fermentation may be complete. If you don't have a hydrometer, you want one -- it's the one tool 99% of the folks on this forum agree is necessary.

If you don't have a hydrometer, you want one -- it's the one tool 99% of the folks on this forum agree is necessary.
Get 2 for when you break the first one at a bad time! 🙃

While you're at it, get a wine thief or test jar. If they are glass, again, having duplicates either ensures you are safe from Murphy's Law of breaking things at bad times, or you have a second one to use if you do break one.

The wine thief (or test jar) is helpful for taking the sg measurement when the hydrometer can't float free in the must or wine, such as if there are lots of fruit solids or you are making a small batch. As long as you sanitize everything (which you should do anyway), you can pour the sample back when you have taken the sg reading with your hydrometer.

Get 2 for when you break the first one at a bad time! 🙃

While you're at it, get a wine thief or test jar. If they are glass, again, having duplicates either ensures you are safe from Murphy's Law of breaking things at bad times, or you have a second one to use if you do break one.

The wine thief (or test jar) is helpful for taking the sg measurement when the hydrometer can't float free in the must or wine, such as if there are lots of fruit solids or you are making a small batch. As long as you sanitize everything (which you should do anyway), you can pour the sample back when you have taken the sg reading with your hydrometer.
i use the hydrometer, i have a wine thief but i hear ya, i should get another one as i broke my first hydrometer. i use sani clean. so you are thinking that fermentation is done so i should hit it with camden and rack it?

@cold creek, to be clear -- do you have crushed grapes in a carboy, or or is it Foch juice? I'm guessing juice.

Which Red Star yeast did you use? They market numerous strains.

Try racking the wine into a primary fermenter, e.g., a 7 or 8 gallon food grape bucket. The action of racking, which will introduce O2, may spur the yeast to get back into gear. Cover it with a towel, which lets air pass through while keeping "stuff" out, and let it set for 48 hours. You started with a relatively low SG and any Red Star red or white wine yeast should have no problems.

@cold creek, to be clear -- do you have crushed grapes in a carboy, or or is it Foch juice? I'm guessing juice.

Which Red Star yeast did you use? They market numerous strains.

Try racking the wine into a primary fermenter, e.g., a 7 or 8 gallon food grape bucket. The action of racking, which will introduce O2, may spur the yeast to get back into gear. Cover it with a towel, which lets air pass through while keeping "stuff" out, and let it set for 48 hours. You started with a relatively low SG and any Red Star red or white wine yeast should have no problems.
Yes it was juice, i used the crushed grape skins for my brandy. Brandy is easy, wine i am just learning. ok, i think i may try that, starting to get colder up here, so my wine room will start dropping but never below 50 degrees, currently around 68. I used Red Star Premier Classiques Levure Seche Active. What is the perfect SG that you like? Again, tremendous thanks

Once fermentation is done, 50 F is fine.

For me there is no perfect SG. For whites and fruits? 1.085 to 1.095. light reds in that same range. Heavy reds around 1.100, up to 1.110. These are approximate. If an SG is close, I may not adjust.

thanks all, just an update, i put the juice in a fgrade bucket and covered with towel. waited 48 hours, sg is still below zero...

Latest posts

Back