How about some pity?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe and linda

Junior
Reaction score
I live in NW Oklahoma. The first of April, just about bud break, we get 20" of snow. After that, I figure it's safe to plant my new Vignoles vines. So Sunday, we have tornadoes all around here and everything that goes with that, and my established vines, along with my new ones, get the crap hailed outa them. I think they are gonna survive, but they are looking pretty beat up right now.
smiley19.gif

Joe and Linda,

May the weather gods be kinder to your vineyard. I'm hoping for the weather to start raining out here so the blackberries can grow some more. I need another 4-6 gallons of picked berries to make my planned blackberry varietals this season.......

good luck on your vines Joe and Linda. I am battling an issue with my sole grape vine i planted june of 07... last year it had a bumper crop and i managed to get a gallon of wine from it. Selling home and the new owner plans on leveling off the garden and use it for RV parking.. Doing a little research to see if I can save the vine.. dig it up and replant it at new home... dont think it will survive that.. but heck... worth a try.

Joe and Linda,

Can you replant now? Appleman or Al will know for sure, but since you'd have to cut it back because you'd reduce the roots, if you can do it before it really gets going and closer to dormancy, the better --- of course, here in Montana we're still "close" to "dormancy!"
smiley36.gif

smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

Rocky....give it a root prune right now and prune the top down as well so that the new root structure can support the top...then when the home sells you can dig that vine out and move it......if the house takes a fair amount of time then root prune more than once so that it doesnt mind coming out and being put in a *travel* pot to its new home....another consideration is for you to take cuttings now and get them rooted....you can even go the easy route.....drop a cane or two down to the soil and bury part of it and then have the cane end come back out of the soil....the buds and cane that are buried will sprout some roots....this is called layering and is very easy to do..it just takes some time.
The time of year is currently in your favor

Joe and Linda....just my two cts here....i endured the end of the vineyard world last year with something like 17 inches of rain in a thirty day period...my soil will not handle that and some vines were under 7 or 8 inches of water for close to three weeks...it was so bad i came home one afternoon and just layed down and realized there was nothing i could do about what came from the sky...there are many things we can control in our lives...but the weather is not one of them...it was a good lesson to me...and a good reminder that my goals are of little importance....

with a little judicious pruning your vines will be fine and this episode will be an additional war story to tell your grandkids about...good luck

Back