HOT Secondary fermenter... Problem?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowboykoolaid

Junior
Reaction score
I transferred a 5l cab to a glass secondary a couple days ago after I did not witness any more bubbling. The temp was around 60 so I planned to put a room heater on it for an hour but accidentally left it on overnight! The glass was almost hot to the touch. It this batch ruined, or is there hope if I continue as normal?

1st welcome
Ouch! Any idea what the wine temp is/was?

Welcome to the forum. As Tom asked what was the temp? My guess is your wine will be ok at this point. Even though the glass was hot, the internal temp of the wine probably did not rise to high.It takes a good while to bring an entire carboy of juice to a higher or lower temp of any significance.

you may have rid the wine of some gas by accident...as previously stated it is likely ok....if the wine did get hot itself then you may wish to finish off the degassing now and stabilize

but before all of this i would want to know the current sg...you must know this to see whether to proceed w what i said (above) or if you need to give it time and maybe even yeast to finish ferment.....so my friend..what is the current sg and what is your target sg?

by the way...60 degrees is too cols for 2ndary ferment as you know....so get it up off the floor and level out yourtemps

Thanks for the responses guys.. I'm guessing the glass itself got to around 130. It got hot the whole way around (not just the side against the heater), which I figure is a bad sign. It's been about 8 hours since I turned the heater off and the carboy is still warm (probably 80ish, maybe 90ish) so I am guessing this is the temp of the wine.

Unfortunately, my hydrometer broke when I was mixing this batch, so I do not know the SG. This really is the batch from heck.. I'm thinking a name like Cabernet Inferno or something similar would be fitting!

Would there be any detriment to waiting the full week before degassing, or if I'm going to do it should I do it now?

What size batch is this? It looks like it says 5L. If it was 5 liters then this wine surely got very hot but if it was 5 gallons or 6 gallons then Im sure oit stands a much beter chance as like said above it takes awhile to bring that much volume up or down.

Latest posts

Back