Horrible smelling Traminette

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hmm...thought splash racking helped removing the egg smell.
Didn't realize it would do more harm than good.

Thanks for the input

Everything ive read says to splash rack to help remove the smell alond with the different treatments.

Splash racking works when the wine is still fermenting, as the yeast are still consuming oxygen & producing CO2 to protect the wine.. They'll consume some of the oxygen introduced by the splashing, more when done earlier and less when done later....

When done too late, the wine is no longer fermenting & producing CO2 to protect itself, so oxygen introduced at this stage is there to stay.. And oxidize the wine..

Splash racking works, but only during an active ferment, as someone else said

Well it still smells like a fart for lack of better words.

It also tastes like it. Should i dump it or keep it? What does everyone think?

Yeah thats what I was thinking.

Is it too late to do some drastic measures on it if i get some copper to hang in it?

Yeah thats what I was thinking.

Is it too late to do some drastic measures on it if i get some copper to hang in it?
I am not an expert, but I know that the winery I do volunteer work at, our Riesling in NC will sometimes get that smell after fermentation.

We also use copper, and then gelatin to clear. Most times, one dose does it. Its amazing how 2 or 3 days later its completely gone. Last year it took two doses. Now 120 cases later sold, people waiting for this years to be bottled at Christmas.

Again though warning, copper S is not the easiest thing to work with, you need to know what you are doing.

Nothing wrong with sitting on it for a while, at least until you need the carboy.

I have never tried it, but have read about it. You can treat the wine with ascorbic acid, follwed by copper in 24-48hrs later. The ascorbic hreaks the stinky hydrogen sulfide into parts that can bind with the copper and settle out. It will also pull goodness out of your wine so you may end up with a non-stinky wine that still tastes like crap.
Up to you to decide if the addition work and effort is worth it.
Paul

I havnt tried using just a plain piece of copper. Should i try that before the copper sulfate?

My guess is the sulphur compounds you dealing with are beyond simple copper at this point. They need to be split so the copper can grab them, hence the ascorbic acid....

Hmm ill have to check at the brew store near my house to see if they have it. thanks for the heads up

Back