Horrible smelling Traminette

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not at all!....muhahahhahaha!
In all honesty, I think that it is really important to point out those members that have a passion for certain topics, or aspects of wine making. I had a fairly good handle on yeast nutrients, but after i started reading the posts that you guys were sharing, I realized that I needed to learn a bit more about a very crucial part of wine making. Since I did, I haven't experienced any more stinky fermentations.
Happy yeast make great wine!

Well i racked off the lees and splash racked again but I think shes a goner.

I added another dose just to try it again, but the smell is still there. Not as bad but still noticable.

Copper sulfate and gelatin.

Stir vigorously, then pour in the copper sulfate. Keep stirring for few minutes.

After put in the gelatin.

In a couple weeks, rack off the lees. Don't get any of the lees, that stuff can be lethal.

I would use copper as a last resort, I'd almost dump mine before adding copper sulfate, if it isn't weighed out precisely, you can make a toxic wine.
Obviously this is my personal opinion.

Yea thats what I used was the riduless. I waited 5 days and racked off the lees.

It helped a bit but still has that real strong rotten egg smell.

I thought about the copper sulfate but then the harm that it can cause out weighs the benefits id say....it was only 60$ for the juice so it wont be a huge loss.

I have a bad smelling traminette also, but it's not rotten egg smell.

This is a fill the house with a bad sulfur smell when i was splash racking it last week kind of smell.

The funny thing is when i was racking off the riduless today it smelled good. But once it went back into the carboy I could smell it again...dont know why that is.

I also used Reduless hoping it would get rid of the egg smell, I have $1000 worth of wine at stake here. When I first detect the egg smell I filtered the wine, sulfited and splash racked twice. a couple of days later checked had less but still egg smell. Did like you guys and order Reduless, added the maximum per carboy as instructed, waited 48 hrs then racked of by filtering again. Problem seemed to go away, then a couple of weeks later I verified. I pour wine in a glass, still detect a little trace of smell. After letting the glass air out the smell went away..the wine tasted good.. then I waited another hour to see what would happen with the wine it now smelled like chemical.. don't know if this was cause by the reduless. I'm total stumped...

Last edited:
I used the minimum recommended (Redulees) and did't rack to a clean carboy for 5 days. No problems detected.
Thesnow, can we have a little more info about your wine? What kind, yeast nutrients added, yeast added and so on?
There are a few more steps that you can take, these involve ascorbic acid and CUSo4, followed by Noblesse.
I've never had to use ascorbic acid or CUSo4, I've read in depth about them and their use, just remember to stay 100% within the application rates with CUSo4.

Thanks

Last edited:
Field Mix:
Zinfandel, Merlot, Sirah.
Yeast BM45, Nutrient Fermaid K, used twice once at cap formation and at a third depletion.

I'd try yeast hulls, yeast hulls assist by absorbing toxins such as decanoic and hexanoic acids and esters.

you could do another reduless treatment and follow it up with noblesse . this is what scott labs reccomedends.

I suspect your h2s was caused by leaving the wine on the gross lees for 10 days.

even if you got your nutirent right and had no signs of h2s durring primary , 10 days is long enough for a gross lees bed to go reductive and produce h2s.

24- 48 hours is best practice for racking off the gross lees.

Random- In answer to your question about what my tramminette smells like, I heard someone say something about a garlic smell somewhere. I think tar or burnt rubber, but there might be something similar to a garlic smell, too.

Last edited:
John (altovino) you have a very good point, you can run the wine through another application of Redulees, Redulees is in large part, Yeast Hulls, bentonite and other natural elements which are rich in copper.
If the off odor he is smelling isn't h2s and varietal such as garymc is pointing out, then I would be hesitant to add anything else.
I suspect your h2s was caused by leaving the wine on the gross lees for 10 days.
even if you got your nutrient right and had no signs of h2s during primary , 10 days is long enough for a gross lees bed to go reductive and produce h2s.
I must have missed this, but again, I couldn't agree more.

My girlfriend made a strawberry wine. Her fermernation managment skills at the time were not quite up to par and the wine had a very strong rubbery smell to it. However, months later the smell is starting to dissipate. The taste is fine.

Splash racking for sulfide stink is only effective if the stink is discovered during active ferment, once the wine has been pressed and racked off gross lees and it stinks, O2 and splashing is the last thing you want to do. Carefully rack wine onto Reduless and check results. If that doesn't cure it, then try ascorbic acid and more reduless or copper. Splash racking once ferment is done supplies O2 that will be used to convert stinky compounds into ever increasingly hard to remove stinky compounds.
Do some looking into ascorbic acid and copper treatments for the wine.

Best of luck, Paul

Latest posts

Back