Hops?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Downwards

Reaction score
Was reading about mead on wikipedia, and it mentioned using hops in mead. This sounds really interesting to me, I like hoppy beers.

Has anyone done this? How much and what kind have you used?

I am making t'ej, a traditional Ethiopian honey wine, into which you add the leaves and stems of plant called gesho to add some bitterness to the mead. It's not a true hop but everyone refers to gesho as "hops". I am making only a gallon and it uses about 4 oz of the leaves (kitel) and 4 oz of the stem (enchet). They are sold separately. Mine is about 3 weeks into fermentation

Well there's always braggot to consider. It's a kind of hybrid between beer and mead that one can tailor to be more or less "beery". I don't know much about them but they've always intrigued me as I love a good beer just as much as a glass of wine! I've yet to find a recipe that satisfies me enough to try but I've seen many that included hops.

I took a 2 liter sample of my last traditional (palm and wildflower, 2012) and dry hopped with 0.25oz EKG and it was amazing. I let it sit for a week because I wanted some of the grassier notes to play with the woodyness of the palm.
I would not dare boil my must (to make it bitter), but the dry hopping was very nice.

Latest posts

Back