Honey vs Sugar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddog

Reaction score
I am considering adding some honey to a batch of white grape made from concetrate in place of some of the sugar. Something around a pound.

I know it's difficult to describe what something tastes like in words, but can someone try and sum up the difference in taste between wine sweetened with honey (and sugar) and one with only sugar?

using honey in place of sucrose imparts flavor artifacts that taste a lot like honey.

Honey is differing, depending on the source (the plants) - the name of honey usually dictates what plant the honey came from, not the "flavor" of the honey. Most have wildflower notes - notes that remind me of a warm breezy spring day - but they also provide some viscosity, body, mouthfeel - a sense of roundness to the wine, that sugar lacks.

Honey also contains some antioxidants, minerals, proteins. And is 'sweeter' - generally only need 2/3 of amount of honey that you would need in sugar to achieve the same SG.

mead or not to mead

using honey is a ancient way of making wine ,and in beer making,not a very good idea for wine unless you like mead.:rdo it will impart its essences into the wine and should be the perdominent partner in the :br final flavor outcome.

Back