Holy Cheese on a Cracker!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arne, I think that you're right on that, of all the batches that I have made, I have had two restart. They were both peach, and we know how hard those are to clear. The second time it happened to me the wine had been bulk aged for one year, and was still not crystal clear but being the impatient sort I bottled any way. And lo and behold, I had some serious cork popping going on! Dale.

Arne, I think that you're right on that, of all the batches that I have made, I have had two restart. They were both peach, and we know how hard those are to clear. The second time it happened to me the wine had been bulk aged for one year, and was still not crystal clear but being the impatient sort I bottled any way. And lo and behold, I had some serious cork popping going on! Dale.

Makes a mess, don't it?? :pee All over the floor. We ought to get together one of these days and swap a bottle or two of wine. If I head over that way one of these days, I'll give a hollar and see if you are going to be around. Arne.

Arne, that would be great, things are kind of crazy here right now, we have one daughter that we're moving into her first apartment this weekend, and another daughter getting married on the seventh. We're serving my own Edelweiss, so I hope that it goes over well. You've been making wine for a lot longer than I have, so I'd be a little timid about having a PROFESSIONAL taste my wine! But after a few bottles I think I could drink Annie Green Springs and think that it's real wine! Dale.

So I got back today and checked on my wines. The SG was about the same as 2 weeks ago, the wine was still putting up bubbles,like a champagne,and into airlock. I racked 1 today onto sorbate and k-meta and whipped with drill for about 10 minutes.Will do the same with the other tomorrow.
So they generally refermented from 1.004 to just below 1.000 and are still bubbling after 2 weeks.Hopefully repeating the drill whip another time on both will help subside the bubbles.

we recomend to people when they back sweeten to add the sorbate and K-meta, wait 24 hours, add sugar to taste, wait another 24 hours to see if it starts to ferment again, if not then bottle.
You have to let the chemicals do their job on the yeast before adding sugar.

Back